Giro d'Italia 2013

2»

Comments

• dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    I wonder if Wiggins did the Vuelta and turned up to race...and won, what would happen to his ego...

Oooohhh....Saucer of milk for FF please :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Need to see the Tour route first before anyone can get a reasonable idea of whether Wiggo will go for this or the Tour. Looking at the route and assuming Sky will split its top 2 riders then this looks ideal for Froome really - lots of climbing but balanced with a long TT.

Is the Gavia the climb that is unsurfaced for the final few kms?
  • Pross wrote:
    Need to see the Tour route first before anyone can get a reasonable idea of whether Wiggo will go for this or the Tour. Looking at the route and assuming Sky will split its top 2 riders then this looks ideal for Froome really - lots of climbing but balanced with a long TT.

Rough as, descent at top def needs fixing by all accounts, but with snow season not far off and snow and ice staying at that height till April. not sure how they're going to get around to resurfacing it in time...
  • Pross wrote:

You could be thinking of the Plan de Corones or the Colle delle Finestre. The Gavia used to have an unsurfaced section in the middle of the climb from Ponte di Legno (I think?), but that's now been tarmaced. Or at least it was when I rode it in 2004.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    I think I may have been getting confused with Corones mixed with having read something old about the Gavia when I was intending riding it a couple of years back.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    The Gavia also still has an unpaved track to circumvent a long unlit tunnel on the South side

And, the climb up to Jafferau (finish of the 14th stage to Bardonecchia) is unpaved :)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Anyone got a hi-res of?:

Giro_Trophy13Pres.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FJS wrote:
    The Gavia also still has an unpaved track to circumvent a long unlit tunnel on the South side

Think this is the road you mean. Looks fantastic! Maybe they should send them up it instead of the tunnel?

gavia.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_mb67uvBVAf1r0x6lyo1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    FJS wrote:

Think this is the road you mean. Looks fantastic! Maybe they should send them up it instead of the tunnel?

gavia.jpg

Cyclists are mental.
  • Cyclists are mental.

You should try descending through the unlit tunnel! :shock:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,454
    FJS wrote:

gavia.jpg

Cyclists are mental.

The drop to Jobst Brandt's (for it is he) left is about a thousand metres straight down.
  • Cyclists are mental.

You should try descending through the unlit tunnel! :shock:

Not as mental as roadbuilders.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    He's not even wearing a helmet.
  • fredmac
    fredmac Posts: 83
    phreak wrote:
    He's not even wearing a helmet.

You would have to ask how much good a helmet would do if you fell off a thousand metre cliff? 8)
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    That was the joke. Should have used a smiley or something :)
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Pross wrote:

You could be thinking of the Plan de Corones or the Colle delle Finestre. The Gavia used to have an unsurfaced section in the middle of the climb from Ponte di Legno (I think?), but that's now been tarmaced. Or at least it was when I rode it in 2004.

I've wanted to ride the Finestre ever since that stage in 2005 with Di Luca, Simoni and Salvodelli fighting for the overall...
  • frenchfighter
    Check out Samu's suit!

8046507093_ce69a9b14a_o.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Androni Giocattoli - Venezuela has earned one of four wildcard entries into the Giro d'Italia in 2013, courtesy of their win in the Coppa Italia - the season-long competition for Italian cycling teams.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Savio would wangle a wildcard every year, come what may...