My first road bike - an ongoing project - UPDATED :-)

malskelton
malskelton Posts: 23
edited April 2013 in Your road bikes
Hi all

At the end of July I challenged myself to ride more - I've always ridden but sporadically, so I devised a schedule where I could ride every day ...... since then I've covered 1000km on my trusty 08 Saracen Mantra II MTB.

The more I've ridden the more I've thought about joining the ranks of the roadies - the more I've thought about creating something for me. So that's what I'm doing.

I can't afford to buy something brand new - I know I could save up and purchase something shiny in 6 months time, but saving is something I've always struggled with .... there is always something along the way to distract my attention.

So the route I've chosen is to assemble myself a bike

I picked up a Boardman Road Comp frameset from Gumtree which had seen better days and my ambition now is to build it up over the coming months and start riding it when the weather is nice in Spring. My big ambition being a ride from my current home ( Hull ) to my parents home ( Durham ) ..... that's my ambition and my challenge.

So here's the bike I picked up

SANY0031.jpg

There are a number of stone chips and cable rubs which have ruined the paintwork, but a colleague at work has said that if I can get all of the components taken off he can strip and spray it for me for cost price ..... so that's what I am working on currently.

Frame: Boardman Road Comp
Forks: Boardman Carbon
Bars: Deda RHM01
Stem: Deda Zero1
Headset: Cane Creek 40 Series Zerostack
Bar Tape: Prologo

Front Brake Lever: Shimano 105 Black
Front Caliper: Shimano 105 Black
Rear Brake Lever: Shimano 105 Black
Rear Caliper: Shimano 105 Black

Shifters: Shimano 105 Black
Cables: Shimano 105 Black
Front Mech: Shimano 105 Black
Rear Mech: Shimano 105 Black

Seat: Ritchey Comp Biomax
Seat Post: Deda RS01
Seat Post Clamp:

Cranks: Shimano 105 Black
Chainring(s): Shimano 105 Black
Chain: Shimano 105
Cassette: Shimano 105
Pedals: Shimano 105 Black
Bottom Bracket: Shimano 105

Front Wheel:
Rim / Hub: Mavic Aksium Race
Tube: Contintental
Tire: Continental Gatorskin

Back Wheel:
Rim / Hub: Mavic Aksium Race
Tube: Contintental
Tire: Continental Gatorskin

Accessories:

Weight:

So far the list of components is pretty empty, but this will improve over time. I'm scouring the classifieds and Ebay obviously for nearly new Shimano 105 Black parts ( bought the brakes this week ) and then working on wheels and finishing kit .......

Although this is a very exciting project I'm a complete novice so I apologise in advance for any obvious / stupid questions I have to ask along the way. Hopefully with your help I can put together a bike I am proud of and I ride on a daily basis.

Thank you for any help / suggestions / comments or advice

Mal Skelton

Comments

• russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Nice one, pleas keep us posted with photos as your build comes on!
  • The_JML
    The_JML Posts: 132
    A cheap pair of shimano wheels can be had on here for 100ish or so. Shimano r500's or mavic aksiums. There is always someone selling bars, stems and seatposts etc on the forum too or ebay. I don't think I have ever purchased a component from a retailer, and do not mention lbs! what a rip off.

Just make sure it definitely fits your bike before you order it and take good care of it, then it will be a cheap job and you will have a shiny new bike! :D
  • ara3791
    ara3791 Posts: 378
    Again, please keep us posted. Great to see how a build is coming on.
  • Thank you for the encouragement - as it changes I will continue to update this thread with pictures ..... it's currently in a colleagues body shop for stripping and spraying.

My current 'To do / get / source' list is ;

- frame decals
    - headset
    - bottom bracket

These are my priorities currently. If anyone can advise which headset it would be gratefully received - I would like a Cane Creek but which one ?

Bottom braket also - I want to run Shimano 105 compact chainset - how do I know which bottom bracket fits both the bike and the crankset ?

Mal Skelton
  • mr_sj
    mr_sj Posts: 507
    Look forward to following your progress mal.

I did the same thing last summer, bought a frame on here and picked up components on ebay and here and built the whole thing up myself, gives you a massive sense of pride and achievement when its all done.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Why do you want to swap the chainset out to 105? Is it just to match? Be careful as you may end up spending too much!

As for your Q - buy a Shimano Hollowtech chainset and English thread BB (don't think this Boardman is BB30)

Personally if I had to swap I would buy the Tiagra compact from Ribble - about £45 which is good vslue.

Happy hunting!
  • My honest advice on the chainset if your looking for something decent would be to go for the SRAM Apex. You'll find one on ribble for about £50 - £65 depending on the size you require. You'll also find a decent set of Shimano R501 wheels on Ribble for cicra £70. They are the slightly newer version of the R500's which I have on my bike, I can honestly say if they're as good as mine they won't let you down.

Check out my build

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12880655

to see what can be done in the way of Shimano 105 parts and how they look once built up. You may even consider leaving your frame raw and polishing it once you have seen mine :lol: Hope this helps, enjoy building your bike, it will be worth every penny once you have finished! Look forward to seeing it develop :D
    I build it. I ride it. That's how I roll.
  • Check out my build

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12880655

to see what can be done in the way of Shimano 105 parts and how they look once built up. You may even consider leaving your frame raw and polishing it once you have seen mine :lol: Hope this helps, enjoy building your bike, it will be worth every penny once you have finished! Look forward to seeing it develop :D

I saw your thread and was very, very envious ....... my oldest MTB is polished aluminium and I appreciate how beautiful it can look, but your level of dedication far exceeds mine. I think the Shimano 105 black groupset looks amazing and definitely going down that route.

My current headaches are ;

- what size Cane Creek headset
    - which bottom bracket
    - where to get cut vinyl decals done
    - where to get wheelsets where I can choose components ( Mavic Open Sport rims / 105 black hubs / black spokes )
    - which stem / seatpost / bars look the most stealth ( was going to go with Deda but they like their white logos )
    - where can I get black Team Sky special edition bar tape

Think the top two are going to be sorted by bike shops - not going to guess and mess about with them

Hoping to get it back from the body shop this week to get started

Mal Skelton
  • Had quite a productive birthday last week in terms of bike parts - I've updated the spec list in the initial post, but as of yet I don't have the frame back so can't start assembly.

Still to purchase are the 105 shifters, bottom bracket, bar tape, pedals, tubes & tyres ..... so not a lot left

Just want the frame back to get started

Mal Skelton
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Nice one Mal, I am looking forward to seeing the build up.
  • Okay - sorry for the super long delay in the update .....

I finished buying all of the component parts at Xmas, but a cycling accident in the January ice has really thrown a spanner in the works. My latest consultation at the hospital has confirmed a ruptured ACL and I'm now booked in for surgery in the near future.

While I was off the bike I got a local bike shop to build it up for me ( and spray the front forks ) and took delivery of it about six weeks ago ......... tonight was the first time I've ridden it

I've just done a gentle 7.5km ride in the wind but I am totally smitten, I love it. It's not completed yet, I've got the graphics work to do yet ( it will have a subtle Team Sky theme as I'm a big fan ) but wanted to show that I've not given up and will continue to ride pre and post op

Thanks for being patient

photo3_zpsccb15c6a.jpg
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Well done on the build - it looks great apart from the position. The saddle is either way too low or that frame is way too big for you. Also, the bars are considerably higher than the saddle - that's illegal ;)

Apart from those points it looks great!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • declan1 wrote:
    Well done on the build - it looks great apart from the position. The saddle is either way too low or that frame is way too big for you. Also, the bars are considerably higher than the saddle - that's illegal ;)

Tonight was the first time i've ridden it and I think the saddle does need to be higher to be more comfortable - it's a case of me getting used to the new riding position and figuring out the best setup

Thank you for taking the time to reply
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    malskelton wrote:
    declan1 wrote:

Tonight was the first time i've ridden it and I think the saddle does need to be higher to be more comfortable - it's a case of me getting used to the new riding position and figuring out the best setup

Thank you for taking the time to reply

To find a good saddle height, find your inseam (or inside leg length) in CM and multiply it by 1.09 - subtract 17 from that figure and then set that as the saddle height (from centre of bottom bracket up the seat tube to the top of the saddle). Go for a ride then tweak to find the 'sweet spot' ;)

Alternatively, try 88.3% of your inside leg from the centre of the BB to top of the saddle.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.