GPS trackers on bikes

wickedguy333
wickedguy333 Posts: 4
edited October 2012 in MTB general
I'm looking at getting a GPS tracker for both my bikes as both are my pride and joy. Has anyone used GPS trackers on their bikes and can give me some pointers before I set up and buy a couple. At the moment I'm either going to get the Garmin chip or the Spy bike. Anyone care to share any experiences with either of these?

Comments

• i am assuming you intending to use this for security reasons (rather than tracking routes and rides)?

I Obviously do not know any background but I would be considering preventive measures first I.e storage area, locks, anchors, alarms etc. I believe the chances of receiving a stolen bike back in one piece are small.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • Yes for security... I have seen a couple that no one would notice that they are there. I'm hoping if it does get stolen I can get t back in time before anythings taken apart.... Then bash the bastards whole stole my bike.
  • Yes for security... I have seen a couple that no one would notice that they are there. I'm hoping if it does get stolen I can get t back in time before anythings taken apart.... Then bash the bastards whole stole my bike.

I never thought of that but love it!
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • If its Kids that nick it then you probably have a fair chance of catching them as the just ride around on it till its time to go in. Then most of them are stupid enough to dump it in there garden.

If its professionals then expect it to be stripped 10mins later. I don't know much about GPS but i know enough to look under the seat and remove lights and down the seat post, handle bar ends etc...

Best way to keep your pride n joy secure is take in at night and take in when at work. If your manager has a problem it's probably because he doesn't realise just how expensive bikes are now.
    I work in PC World and my bike comes in with me at the start of my shift. I refuse to leave it outside when lidl sell bolt cutters for £5. When at shops i always chain as close to the main entrance as possible or in B&Q i take it in or some larger store you can ask. When at work i tell customers with bikes to bring them in and put them next to the till.

Reason i mention this is, If i were a theif GPS would not deter me in the slightest. 1 multi tool could strip that bike in minutes.
  • After extensive research I have decided this is the best around for the price.

http://www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/Spybike.jsp

This has a motion sensor and sends you a SMS as soon as movement is detected. From there you can track the movements of the bike. So even after a few minutes of the thieves getting through my locks I would already know they are tampering with my bike. The best thing is that its not under the seat or handlebars but discreetly under the top cap. So if someone touches any of my bikes I know straight away and can catch the bastards before they even think about stripping it.

I would like to know if anyone has this installed if the 6 months battery lives up to what they say, also how the SMS function works with the motion sensor.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Do you store your bike indoors? How quickly can the GPS pick up a signal?
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • WickedGuy do us a favour and remember thiefs carry weapons not only knifes but 3/4 kilo steel bolt cutters. Watch your self if some does steal your bike and hasn't stripped before you catch em'. Don't want you posting from the hospital bed because some one took a bolt cutter to your head.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    WickedGuy do us a favour and remember thiefs carry weapons not only knifes but 3/4 kilo steel bolt cutters. Watch your self if some does steal your bike and hasn't stripped before you catch em'. Don't want you posting from the hospital bed because some one took a bolt cutter to your head.

If they did take bolt cutters to his head we wouldn't understand the post anyway :lol:
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    This is a nice idea, but because GPS doesn't work inside it might not be that useful in many cases.

Spend the money on insurance and a lock approved by your insurance company instead.
  • But surely the GPS could log the last known outside location to give you an idea of an area/building in which it is stored? It depends how it works. How much does it log and how can you track it? How regularly does it log? Can it do it in real time giving you location data that is only seconds old?
    If it logs it all and uploads the data somewhere you can get to, presumably you would have an entire log of the trip and where it terminates. I can see it working fairly well, unless in a built up area like a big city with a lot of tall buildings blocking the signal.
    I'd quite like to test this myself actually. I bet there are youtube clips/articles/forums out there showing how it all works and if they were able to track it.

I also doubt that the average theif - even if "professional" - would expect to find a GPS device stashed inside the headset. The paranoid pro would probably check under the seat and up the seat tube potentially.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    What we're talking about here is two seperate technologies - first, the ability to log GPS data. Second, the ability to wirelessly transmit said data so it can be viewed remotely. Such a unit also has to be tiny. Tiny means two things -

1. Less battery space = less battery life. Your unit is useless if the battery is flat. Sure, you could get it to send you a text when the battery is running out (assuming it has mobile signal), but realistically how many people will be arsed to go and charge it every few days? How do you even get at the unit? Do you have to take the top cap off to get at it?

2. Less powerful receiver/transmitter. Less transmitter power means less reliability to both collect and send data. The transmitter power would be weak at this size, so it might lose signal when placed in the back of a van (or even randomly even when outside).

Another issue is shock resistance - which adds weight, bulk and expense. In theory it sounds great, the reason they don't exist is because nobody can build something capable enough that is that small (at least not in a commercial sense, maybe people have them in films!), and even if they could it would have to be close to 100% reliable (otherwise its a rubbish security device). Which it won't be.

Locks aren't 100% effective, far from it, but unless you're stupid enough to leave the bike unlocked you can guarantee that whoever stole your bike had to break the lock to do so.

Plus, there's the question of what you actually do with the information, assuming it does work. Go round and kick their heads in? Angry bikeless vigilantes beating the shit out of some guy in a house that their GPS device says their bike is in, when the GPS is only accurate to around 30 metres because the transmitter is weak? Probably a bit much, but you get the idea.

I'll stick with my insurance, locks and keeping my bike inside cheers.
  • All good points. Accurate to within 25 meters (as the above linked one is) could be the difference between 10+ different houses. You could hardly go knocking on each house asking politely for your bike back. You could however, "camp out" in the street and just watch for any signs of it, but that's a bit unlikely to work and will be obvious to neighbours/thieves. Sometimes though, simply using insurance to claim and get something new, just doesn't cut it. A bike might have sentimental value to it, and be customized to suit. I don't know if you have ever had something stolen, but you just want it back. You have this feeling inside, and it's like a scratch you can't scratch eating away at you. You would do anything to know who/where has your pride and joy.
    Would I pay £100 for a GPS device as linked above....probably never. Would I pay £50....don't know, if it was amazing maybe. £30 or under and they start to become quite attractive.

In all seriousness though. Would the police actually assist and become involved if you presented them with evidence? I know they do with cars fitted with official trackers from respected companies. But a GPS device off ebay using google maps.... ?