Buying bike advise

Ashley 1972757
Ashley 1972757 Posts: 10
edited October 2012 in MTB beginners
Hey guys i'm new here and would like your expert opinion on a bike I've been offered. The bike is a bit knackered because it's been left to rot for years. The bike is quite rusty including the inner of the brake cables. The disc brakes on the front doesn't work but the back does. I didn't check the gears (I know i'm an idiot) He tells me the bike is worth a lot but I don't have a clue what its worth. He's a friend who's selling it and got him down to £70, is it worth it? (Ignore the dog crap:D) 2s0l6z4.jpg2pzk787.jpg24l3mfs.jpg15gteg5.jpghvxlzk.jpg What you reckon? Help much appreciated.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends what you want the bike for. It is a budget jump bike, and best suited for that. Is pretty heavy, and that colossal fork is rather useless! £70 is on the money. I wouldn't want to use it for long periods off road.
  • Well then if thats the case i'm not even interested in it.
    The bike is heavy as f@## like you say and not the greatest ride. It would be mainly for urban use with some light off road.
    He said the suspention alone is worth over £100, what a guy at the bike shop told him apparently.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    He's pulling your leg, the fork is worth about £20! And even then, people only buy them because they look big.
  • :lol:
    Wait until I see him.
    He really believes he's going to get about 200+ from the bike shop.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    :lol:
    Wait until I see him.
    He really believes he's going to get about 200+ from the bike shop.
    about £3 scrap value, and i'm not joking
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The weight of that it's worth a lot more as scrap that that!

£50-70 on ebay as that 'look' of bike sells for more than I'd value it at!

I've bought lot better bikes than that for £100.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    I would not touch that thing with a barge pole..

A total load of crap. I would not even pay £70 for it... Infact I'd refuse it if he offered it to me for free..

I've seen better bikes in my local canal.
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838