• pic is a weeee bit small
  • C:\Documents and Settings\Michelle\My Documents\My Sunshine.jpg

Is that better?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    apollored wrote:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Michelle\My Documents\My Sunshine.jpg

Is that better?

Hold on, let me hack into your computer to see.
  • Briggo wrote:
    apollored wrote:

Is that better?

ledgend
    It never gets easier. You just go faster. – Greg LeMond

The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without shocking the entire community. - Ann Strong
  • Briggo wrote:
    apollored wrote:

Is that better?

:lol::lol:
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Aaah cute, its a step through frame!

What sort of riding do you do? With the best will in the world an 11 year old apollo will be startign to show the effects of its age (well any 11 year old bike actually) if its been used a bit and if you are ridng any rougher ground you can certainly expect some wear!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Needs more red on it!

Slightly more seriously, if you're doing bits and pieces of servicing on it as it wears/ages, there's no reason it shouldn't last another eleven years, although you may eventually run into problems getting spares for the forks. Now go and get a red bottle for it!
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Aaah cute, its a step through frame!

What sort of riding do you do? With the best will in the world an 11 year old apollo will be starting to show the effects of its age (well any 11 year old bike actually) if its been used a bit and if you are riding any rougher ground you can certainly expect some wear!

I just use it for my transport basically and also Sky Rides where I'm doing lots more off road and trail riding, with some hills and river paths etc.

It was ok till I started riding it in snow and the grit affected it.
  • Giraffoto wrote:
    Needs more red on it!

Slightly more seriously, if you're doing bits and pieces of servicing on it as it wears/ages, there's no reason it shouldn't last another eleven years, although you may eventually run into problems getting spares for the forks. Now go and get a red bottle for it!

Lol it did have red and black tyres but they failed and so all I'm left with are red forks :(

Maybe I should replace the pedal cranks with red ones lol :lol:
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    apollored wrote:

What sort of riding do you do? With the best will in the world an 11 year old apollo will be starting to show the effects of its age (well any 11 year old bike actually) if its been used a bit and if you are riding any rougher ground you can certainly expect some wear!

I just use it for my transport basically and also Sky Rides where I'm doing lots more off road and trail riding, with some hills and river paths etc.

Had to look up sky rides - don't think they existed when I left the UK. Nice little intros to off road.

Now you could modify your apollo to be a more road oriented commuter and get something for off road if you were looking to expand your riding repertoir!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    This thread is a complete FAIL :?
    Don't think, BE:
  • apollored wrote:

Had to look up sky rides - don't think they existed when I left the UK. Nice little intros to off road.

Now you could modify your apollo to be a more road oriented commuter and get something for off road if you were looking to expand your riding repertoir!

Someone said I should get a lighter frame then just replace the wheels etc and accessories but it has nowhere for a mudguard to go unless attached to the seatpost.

Yeah a nice 29er would be the business :D
  • Giraffoto
    apollored wrote:
    Someone said I should get a lighter frame then just replace the wheels etc and accessories but it has nowhere for a mudguard to go unless attached to the seatpost.

You may run into a few issues with this sort of upgrading - you'd have to stick with rim brakes unless you want to upgrade wheels, frame, forks and brakes at the same time, for instance. If you're determined to get something better, you'd be better off saving up for a replacement and just keeping this one going for as long as you need it to.
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Briggo
    apollored wrote:

Someone said I should get a lighter frame then just replace the wheels etc and accessories but it has nowhere for a mudguard to go unless attached to the seat post

Oh no, you can't attach a mudguard to the frame?

Pulling of legs going on here?
  • Giraffoto
    Briggo wrote:
    apollored wrote:

Someone said I should get a lighter frame then just replace the wheels etc and accessories but it has nowhere for a mudguard to go unless attached to the seat post

Have to be a bit broader minded - much as we all love a thick stripe of mud up our backs, there are some people out there who aren't so keen :)

To the OP: consider one of the pannier racks that has a platform top - they're about 90% as good as a mudguard, and you can carry your luggage on it too
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Briggo
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Briggo wrote:
    apollored wrote:

Have to be a bit broader minded - much as we all love a thick stripe of mud up our backs, there are some people out there who aren't so keen :)

To the OP: consider one of the pannier racks that has a platform top - they're about 90% as good as a mudguard, and you can carry your luggage on it too

Nothing to do with the fact he wants to use a mudguard, it's the specific placement of a mudguard. What does it matter, you just fit what you can if the frame overall is better.

Seems an extreme reason to not upgrade a fundamental part of a bike.
  • Briggo wrote:
    apollored wrote:

Thats what the mechanic who works on it for me said, there's nowhere in the dropouts for a mudguard to be fastened to though I did have a pannier rack on which I took off as I wasnt using it and it had come loose from its mountings.
  • Giraffoto wrote:
    apollored wrote:

You may run into a few issues with this sort of upgrading - you'd have to stick with rim brakes unless you want to upgrade wheels, frame, forks and brakes at the same time, for instance. If you're determined to get something better, you'd be better off saving up for a replacement and just keeping this one going for as long as you need it to.

Yes I will be looking for a replacement as soon as finances permit but this one has done so well for this long it will be wrench to let it go :(

I dont know if its me losing a lot of fitness due to walking accident in January or problems cropping up but I find it much harder to ride now, its not a "little whippet" it used to be leaving people I was cycling with trailing in its wake : :mrgreen:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Briggo wrote:
    Nothing to do with the fact he wants to use a mudguard, it's the specific placement of a mudguard. What does it matter, you just fit what you can if the frame overall is better.

Seems an extreme reason to not upgrade a fundamental part of a bike.

Keep up
    apollored wrote:

Is that better?

We appear to have a real live girl. Hence the slightly odd frame. And by frame I mean the bike frame, not the Op's frame.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yes definitely a girl lol, thanks for that.

Yes Sunshine is a Ladies Bike tho her owner's body frame could be better lol:)

Funnily enough I have never really considered the bike design to be strange tho compared to most modern bike designs these days I guess its outdated now.

Well hey she is 11.

Someone said even tho she is very heavy she is very easy to ride, definitely too heavy for bunnyhopping or anything vaguely adventurous for an MTB :?
  • It won't be too heavy to bunnyhop, even downhill bikes are easy enough!
  • Mmm some skills training needed then?
  • Giraffoto
    apollored wrote:

Funnily enough I have never really considered the bike design to be strange tho compared to most modern bike designs these days I guess its outdated now.

Well hey she is 11.

Someone said even tho she is very heavy she is very easy to ride, definitely too heavy for bunnyhopping or anything vaguely adventurous for an MTB :?

It's not necessarily a strange design - it's a step-through frame, which is common enough, but something you won't necessarily see at the expensive end of the range (where they have other tricks to lower the top tube if you need it). And eleven isn't that old - the last bike I replaced was twenty-four.

You won't know it's too heavy for anything vaguely adventurous until you try it - where do you ride now, and what's nearby that you could call "adventurous"?
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My wife has a hip problem and can't swing a leg over a saddle, so even though the bike is fairly well specced and uses a modern lightweight alloy frame (Merida made), hers is a 'stepthrough' style like yours.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto wrote:
    apollored wrote:

Well hey she is 11.

It's not necessarily a strange design - it's a step-through frame, which is common enough, but something you won't necessarily see at the expensive end of the range (where they have other tricks to lower the top tube if you need it). And eleven isn't that old - the last bike I replaced was twenty-four.

You won't know it's too heavy for anything vaguely adventurous until you try it - where do you ride now, and what's nearby that you could call "adventurous"?

I live in Sale near Manchester and ride around the Water Park there and on the river banks as well on trails and paths when on Sky Rides as well as on the road.

There isnt anywhere near me that is any more adventurous than a few steep mounds and slopes with dirt and rocky surfaces.

There are MTB Centres in the North West but I havent been to any as yet.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My best advice is good tyres, my daughter took her somewhat shonky MTB (now rebuilt for her) to Cannock and with grip you can cope with most things!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    apollored wrote:
    I live in Sale near Manchester and ride around the Water Park there and on the river banks as well on trails and paths when on Sky Rides as well as on the road.
    I'm away off down South, so I can't comment all that specifically on Sale. However, when you say . .
    There isnt anywhere near me that is any more adventurous than a few steep mounds and slopes with dirt and rocky surfaces.
    . . . I get the impression you haven't noticed the Peak District! There's plenty of places to ride there - roads, paths and trails. Have a look at their website for some ideas. You could even hire a bike to try out some different types before you finally upgrade. And it's all pretty close by! Try the Monsal Trail for a start
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Oh yeah I know lol just havent got round to it.

And the LD is miles away when I havent got access to a car lol.

Will have a look at the Monsal Trail but unless a Cycle to Work Scheme or a decent paying job comes my way I wont be upgrading for the moment:(

Monsal Trail is easy and hoping maybe to do an Evans RideIt! at New Mills:

http://www.evanscycles.com/ride-it/the- ... -june-2012
  • My wife has a hip problem and can't swing a leg over a saddle, so even though the bike is fairly well specced and uses a modern lightweight alloy frame (Merida made), hers is a 'stepthrough' style like yours.

I hired a Merida Juliet once for a ride when mine was out of action, nice little bike.

It is an MTB but the hire shop put slicks on it and made it a hybrid.

Really enjoyed riding it.