N.E.C Cycle Show

josep
josep Posts: 38
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Visited this today and even without including the 16 pound ticket and 10 pound parking i left feeling very disappointed.
Just me ?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Is it a tad roadie?
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • It was OK, plenty of free stuff on Friday anyway, but I had pretty much done it all on an Hour, even taking 10 to sit and watch the BMX show.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • actually, what did suprise me was that the DMR stand had everthing on it all priced up, I saw a pair of lights I wanted to get and asked for a set, card in hand, to which they replied you'll have to buy from your local shop that stocks them as they dont have any sale stock of anything at the show. . . . !
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • We went friday and thought it was a good show but very roadie biased, Not a dissapointment as most of my group like both road & mtb stuff.

Was shocked at stands like DMR & BBB, Mutiple items on display priced etc to look like a sales stall and they weren't selling :roll:

Wasn't a bad day out, not sure I'll travel 130 miles each way next year for it.
  • 250 mile round trip and very dissapointed,quite a lot of bikes i never heard of and not enuff bike i know there,for example PACE and GT,i never saw a nukeproof either lol,and i found one stall that sold hats,and they had one left which i didnt really want,but itll do lol,and i paid with card via paypal lol,it took twice as long and i wont be doing that again........being both on and off road rider i think the show was more for the roadicyclist that mtb,the bmx section was good,and they had a good show on for everyone,could keep going on but i not time lol,overall dissapointed,not much history either for the newcomers to cycling!!!!!
  • KEEP CYCLING EXPENSIVE
    seems to be the motto here. With some major online sponsors (eg. Wiggle) apparently not being allowed to display.
    Any show visit, in my book, is the one day where you can break away from high street prices and grab a few good bargains. After all it's the main reason lots of people go?

Went to NEC Cycle show 2012 today what a total rip off. It was a carefully engineered
    marketing stunt where you could look at anything from complete bikes to
    clothes and accessories such as bike locks , lights and pumps but you
    weren't allowed to actually buy anything.
    They wanted you to go away and pay full price from their authorised retailers . Right con if you
    ask me as you invest about 35 quid in entry and train fare and should
    come home with loads of bargains making it worth the fees and hidden booking fees. I'd love to shout
    from the roof tops and tell everyone to boycott it next year on
    principle.

Robbers!!!!
  • cooldad
    edited October 2012
    Girovski wrote:
    KEEP CYCLING EXPENSIVE
    seems to be the motto here. With some major online sponsors (eg. Wiggle) apparently not being allowed to display.
    Any show visit, in my book, is the one day where you can break away from high street prices and grab a few good bargains. After all it's the main reason lots of people go?

Went to NEC Cycle show 2012 today what a total rip off. It was a carefully engineered
    They wanted you to go away and pay full price from their authorised retailers . Right con if you
    ask me as you invest about 35 quid in entry and train fare and should
    come home with loads of bargains making it worth the fees and hidden booking fees. I'd love to shout
    from the roof tops and tell everyone to boycott it next year on
    principle.

Robbers!!!!
    cooldad wrote:

Although I think robbers is a bit harsh.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bazzer2
    bazzer2 Posts: 189
    Agree with the above - I've been to lots of shows at the NEC, and none have been so crap. A bloke from BBB was blaming the council for 'not letting them sell', which I think was nonsense, as there were plenty of other places you could buy stuff.
    No bargains, at all.
    Not enough major manufacturers.
    Too expensive.
    I went with 2 mates, the NEC fleeced us for £58 and we didn't even get a shuttle bus from the car park for our trouble.
  • Sorry but I didn't find the warnings strong enough this quoted text is about the strongest wording of the two links:

' Theres normally some bargains, but its not a discount paradise. Best stands are usually the Madison one, which has rediculous sale clothing, and some other bargains too, and then some other various bits and bobs. Last year at the London show the NRG4 stand was selling absolute bargain bling (alloy jockey wheels with sealed bearings, £10, etc.). However, madison arent there and looking through the list I see only NRG4 and actioncameras who are on my hit list of possible bargain stands. '

Bit vague maybe.

Two guys running the Raleigh stand came out with a host of excuses like 'some retails can't manage card payment machines effectively' this was after trying on a jacket from an ordinary looking sales stand adjacent to a variety of cycling gadgets, it was certainly laid out like an exhibition 'stall'

There were a couple of token stalls at the opposite end with virtually no stock (deliberately?)

I think fare warning would have been on the NEC website about this setup rather than some tucked away comment on a the Internet. Ralegh also mentioned they were mainly pitching to retailers. I mean come on this was on Sunday, not the trade day.

I've been to plenty of other 'exhibitions' on all sorts of interests and never seen anything like this before.

A total scam in my opinion.

As I said ,

KEEP CYCLING EXPENSIVE !!!!

cooldad wrote:

Although I think robbers is a bit harsh.[/quote]
  • cooldad
    Glad you agree with me now, but I think that vein in your forehead is about to explode.

I suggest a strongly worded letter to the Daily Mail.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 147
    cooldad wrote:

:lol:
  • Jimx26 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

:lol:

Ha ha! Cheeky! :D
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    Did think about going but a. it was a little to far to drive and b. I'd read the previous horror stories (well maybe not horror stories but ya know what I mean)
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It wasn't as good as I'd hoped, but then a ticket for £12.50 using any of the myriad of discount codes, return train £3.80 and a 20 mile round trip drive with free parking, I was happy!

The Demo rides were good, obviously limited in scope and it was a shame Spesh turned up with such a poor range - although I had a chance to confirm how horrid the lardrock is, really enjoyed the Trek Superfly Elite, not sold on the EX-9, but the Pivot Mach4 blew me away and now I'm tempted to get a longer demo. Just registered at www.sellmykidney.com
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    but the Pivot Mach4 blew me away and now I'm tempted to get a longer demo. Just registered at http://www.sellmykidney.com

I demoed a Mach 429 there last year and hated it!

Whizzing round the track on the electric 'dutch' bike was fun though! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • The Rookie
    The 29ers didn't really shine for me, was it the route or 29ers? Don't know, but I really really really like the mach4.....wanna buy a kidney?

There was a funny electric bike with BMX sized wheels that went like a scalded cat......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • appy
    appy Posts: 408
    I went last year and was very disappointed as i didnt want a road bike or electric bike, Sounds like this year was the same. Is there a reason why there is so little MTB orientated stuff there?
  • The Rookie
    Space and how much the stands cost I guess, many manufacturers not there and a sad dirth of people actually selling stuff, I did get a rear view mirror for the commuter and some Renthal grips (no real saving but had a chace to try before I bu'ed)
  • Girovski wrote:

I went last year and this is the reason I didn't go this year... Last year they did have a small trade area and everyone was buying vastly reduced Oakleys but if you didn't want/need them it was pants...