BB30 - Still creaky?

PaulRoubaix
PaulRoubaix Posts: 38
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Hi,

Halfords has an offer on at the moment, and with a british cycling extra 10% off its making the Boardman FS pro look like its going to be my first MTB.

I know BB30s were critercised for being creaky when they were first released, it that still the case?

Comments

• Whatever, I wouldn't base your decision on that.
  • Yeah but, no but, yeah but... init?

A smooth BB is surley an important thing to have?
  • After having the ht pro with bb30, I'd never buy a bike with bb30 again.

One of the worst BB styles out there and offers no benefit over something like HT2.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got a boardman CX with BB30. It started creaking after 50 miles. They regreased it, and it lasted another 20 miles. They replaced it, it started creaking again and I regreased it. Just put grease on the crank spindle and around the outside of the bearings, and it's been fine for over 1000 miles now.

I think the problem was with the original fitting.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rattyc5
    rattyc5 Posts: 84
    edited July 2014
    mine on my hardtail pro was a bit creaky so had a new one fitted. its good now
  • baser
    baser Posts: 127
    The BB30 on my FS Pro creaked after a couple of rides, striped and greased it and its lasted about 6 months now.

It has started creaking and clicking again so I have ordered the FSA ceramic version which is on sale at Wiggle, I will give that a go and see how it does.

I dont think its been any worse than the GXP that came with my last bike!?!