Pendleton's book, would you buy it?

2»

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Yes I would agree its not very exciting (I'm not a big track fan).............but it's not a 'pretty standard' life by you average 20/30 something lass.

No you are right. I was comparing her to other athletes/famous figures etc.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    CanalRider wrote:
    I shall read it but like previous poster I'll get it from the library. I prefer to read an autobiography written when a career is over. However, by way of exception, Ellen MacArthurs is a great and inspiring read. I like the fact that it was self penned and not by a ghost writer.

Erm, Pendleton's career is over. At least the one she's writing about is, anyway.
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Trained hard, got lots of natural talent, won prestigious races lots of times. In a velodrome. Not very exciting life.

As opposed to my life.

All round hero, babe magnet, party after party, being made moderator.

The list is endless...
  • As opposed to my life.

When's the book out then?
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    DesWeller wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:
    I have no intention of reading any of Salman Rushdie's books

Out of interest - why not?[/quote]

Because he was a sh1t trackie and his road racing palmares was appalling?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    All said and done if you fancy a read and aren't an avid collector of books try and encourage your local library to get it in. At least that way it may stay on the shelf and tempt someone not currently as blessed as ourselves to come into the fold of Pro Race and help keep the library open.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    In my local bookshop Pendleton's biog sat alongside (relatively recent) biographies for Mercyx, Bahamontes, Bartoli, Riis, Hamilton - tough to get excited about Victoria's story in that company.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Lichtblick wrote:

OK. But on that basis, everyone would have to read every book in the world, in case they're not rubbish. Life's too short, mate! I have no intention of reading any of Salman Rushdie's books - for example. Nor a dozen other (so called big name) authors. That is what reviews are for: deciding if the book is for you or not.

Life is also too short to read every cycling memoire out there. IMHO.

I enjoyed the Tyler Hamilton book, though, and that's mostly because it gave the up to date stuff on the endless LA cheating/lying/denial.

Well, no. You don't give an opinion on it if you have nt read it, you just ask if anyone has and wait for their response.

If you like the cheating/lying/denial then it does drive a Truck through the shop window front of Sky/GB's image of being a big well organised happy family. It's all finwe when people are winning, but when people start loosing then they get frozen out or ignored very quickly by the coaches and management. It's a revealling look behind the curtains, especially when you also have the context of Team Sky and the uncomfortably questions about doping accusations, doctors and DS's and Brailsfords notable unwillingness to speak on them.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    Reading the secret race before I read Millar's racing through the darkness was a bad idea.

Everything feels pretty tame after that.
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    In repayment for hours of cycling I get wall to wall strictly and strictly takes two.
    Is that in reference to your missus making you watch Strictly? Could be worse. It could be Corrie, Emerdale, Eastenders, etc. The one advantage of Strictly is scores of fit women wearing next to nothing. I'm quite looking forward to Sat nights from next weekend.

Back on track, I won't be reading Pendleton's autobiography. I saw part of the documentary, and found it very heavy going. Good on her though for making some dough from her fame and achievements though, and hopefully all this public talking is a good healer for her.
  • rick_chasey
    jawooga wrote:
    In repayment for hours of cycling I get wall to wall strictly and strictly takes two.
    Is that in reference to your missus making you watch Strictly? Could be worse. It could be Corrie, Emerdale, Eastenders, etc. The one advantage of Strictly is scores of fit women wearing next to nothing. I'm quite looking forward to Sat nights from next weekend.

Yeah. I have limited TV capital than I have spread over cycling, formula one and TV I actually want to watch.

Over a certain threshold, which is quite low, any further TV capital expenditure eats into my TV veto opportunities.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Won't be reading it - don't like her and don't particularly like sports 'auto'biographies unless they are about true legends of their sport. Add to that this sort of book is by its very nature a one sided view of things and can often prejudice your opinions of the other parties who may never give their own side.

I read the Bravo Two Zero and One That Got Away autobiographies years ago and was intrigued by how two people who were at the same event in history could tell things so differently (OK, granted the two stories separate half way through). I subsequently read another autobiography from another soldier present who wanted to put 'the truth' across and whilst that seemed the most likely of the 3 accounts it was still only one persons version of the truth.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    As opposed to my life.

Perfect timing as well - 'Chasey - The Recruitment Years' which can then be updated to make even more money telling of his time on the trading floors or wherever he ends up next. Looking forward to hearing how the power of becoming BR's youngest ever mod and then the vast honour of becoming an admin led him to a downward spiral of ban stick abuse and an addiction to thread merging.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Do not say anything bad about this woman's book in case she gets upset and cuts herself.
    Bad taste remark.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Pross wrote:

I read the Bravo Two Zero and One That Got Away autobiographies years ago and was intrigued by how two people who were at the same event in history could tell things so differently (OK, granted the two stories separate half way through). I subsequently read another autobiography from another soldier present who wanted to put 'the truth' across and whilst that seemed the most likely of the 3 accounts it was still only one persons version of the truth.

Sounds like...

51R3RrLJqVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    DesWeller wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:

Out of interest - why not?

To Des, wondering if you'll ever come back to read this response:

why not? Because I don't need to read those books to know that they're not for me. It's the same with JKRowling and Pratchett, for instances. That's what book reviews are for.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross wrote:
    As opposed to my life.

Perfect timing as well - 'Chasey - The Recruitment Years' which can then be updated to make even more money telling of his time on the trading floors or wherever he ends up next. Looking forward to hearing how the power of becoming BR's youngest ever mod and then the vast honour of becoming an admin led him to a downward spiral of ban stick abuse and an addiction to thread merging.

Christ. You working for wankster publishers or something? How did you get hold of that? I smell a leak! And not the p!ss kind!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Lichtblick wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:

why not? Because I don't need to read those books to know that they're not for me. It's the same with JKRowling and Pratchett, for instances. That's what book reviews are for.

I was wondering what aspect of the reviews have prompted you to make that decision, that's all. I wasn't asking whether or not you'd used a review to make that decision; you've already made your position on that very plain ;-)!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Lichtblick wrote:
    (If there is already a thread on this topic, search this forum can't find it.)

Victoria Pendleton's autobiography, Between the Lines, would you buy it? .

No
  • Pross wrote:
    As opposed to my life.

Christ. You working for wankster publishers or something? How did you get hold of that? I smell a leak! And not the p!ss kind!

Think I'll give the book a miss and wait for the TV mini series!
  • Nick Fitt
    Nick Fitt Posts: 381
    Does it have the nekkid pictures in it?
  • Nick Fitt wrote:

I really, really hope you not talking about the Chasey book!
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Nick Fitt wrote:

I really, really hope you not talking about the Chasey book!

I'm fairly sure '80s songstress Sade sang about Rick. Wasn't there a line that went "No need to ask, he's a nude moderator"
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Lichtblick wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:

I read my first Salman Rushdie book a couple of years back and was blown away. I recently finished Midnights Children. So funny, imaginative but importantly, so real. Although some fantastical things happen the books are so grounded. I guess it's summed up by the genre being called Magical Realism. I'm no fan of 'fantasy fiction' by the way. I think I was surprised by just how great his writing is. The man is a true genius. I read The Enchantress of Florence first which is a fairly short book if you want a little paperback to take on holiday.