Front Mavic Aksium Tinny Rattling Noise

Soni
Soni Posts: 1,217
edited July 2013 in Workshop
Hi guys, I know some may say it may not be the wheel, but I'm pretty confident it is, when out of the saddle with the weight over the front climbing hills I get a really annoying tinny rattling which sounds like its coming from the front wheel, I even stopped and checked the valve screw piece wasn't loose but its tight, any other ideas?

Comments

• Probably the front hub... It might either be a bit loose ( check the caps) or the bearings are dead
    left the forum March 2023
  • Is something trapped in the rim? Taje the tyre , tube and rim tape of and shake.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    Cheers guys will try both of those suggestions tomorrow, the wheels have hardly been ridden, only about 18 months old, hardly ridden at all this year, therefore unlikely to be bearings??

I picked up the front of the bike today and dropped it a few times to try and replicate it but couldn't, therefore would taking the tire and tube out anf shaking the rim show up.anything?

Also, they are sealed bearings therefore could anything come lose there and need tightening or is it something else that you are talking about?
  • trekvet
    trekvet Posts: 223
    If you are out of saddle could be you are going slow enough to hear same as what I had inside a Mavic rim, and that was something loose, evident when slowly rotating wheel and loose bit would drop down when it went over top. Wheel was exchanged under warranty.
    The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.
  • Is the QR done up tightly? Mine had come slightly open causing the front wheel to rattle.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    Soni wrote:
    Cheers guys will try both of those suggestions tomorrow, the wheels have hardly been ridden, only about 18 months old, hardly ridden at all this year, therefore unlikely to be bearings??

I picked up the front of the bike today and dropped it a few times to try and replicate it but couldn't, therefore would taking the tire and tube out anf shaking the rim show up.anything?

Also, they are sealed bearings therefore could anything come lose there and need tightening or is it something else that you are talking about?

Did you ever get to the bottom of this as mine is also making a tinny rattle, they've done about 4000 miles now. I've checked all the obvious things. Spokes seem evenly tensioned, wheel runs almost true, valve nut is tight (removed it to be sure). I swapped the wheel for one of my winter wheelset and the rattle isn't there, so it's definitely coming from the Aksium wheel.

Rattle isn't apparent by dropping the wheel on it's own, only when it's fitted to the bike and the QR is fastened. It feels like there may be a small amount of play in the hub (none when off bike). In case it's just the hub needing adjusted, how is this done on these wheels ... is it similar to how you adjust cup/cone? Any special tools?
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I had something similar once and it turned out to be the valve of the tube rattling against the wheel rim.
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    Turns out the hub was slightly loose. Tightened it by turning the nuts by about 60 degrees and it seems to have cured it.
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Bozman wrote:
    I had something similar once and it turned out to be the valve of the tube rattling against the wheel rim.

I had the lockring on the tube on mine rattle.