Conversion to single front ring

2»

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    njee20 wrote:
    You seem to spout a lot of crap about things you don't really know much about, whilst lambasting everyone for not really knowing much. :roll:
    = Australian (no national stereotypes at all being used here, honest, and I didn't even mention criminals)
    I wonder if he has a petrol powered bike with a whole train behind as well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Why is always such a difficult subject?

1. Ditch the outer and inner rings. Replace middle ring IF YOU WANT TO (mine's a Middleburn 34t)
    2. Ditch the front mech, changer and cable, replace with Superstar top guide unless you're going to back pedal a lot in which case a Plasma is the best VFM.
    3. Go out and ride.

There's no need to change chains, cranks etc.etc. You don't NEED expensive guides for XC bikes (SS specific chainring will help as there's no ramps/pins to make the chain interested in shifting when you're running at the extremes of the block).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    No one was arguing the practicalities of it, merely that a 28t single is a bloody stupid idea, the Widgit is ridiculously overpriced (and from what I've heard their customer service is dire) and cyd190468 is a buffoon.

Back OT, if we're doing Aussie stereotypes you have to read Douglas Adams' views here. Superb.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What gets me about teh widgit is you could achieve the same with normal commercially available ring and bash and it just needs a large enough ring on the inner tabs.....

Some kids bikes come with a similar arrangement to the widgit so it's hardly innovative, just they are cheap shite cranks awith plastic guide rings.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Seeing as you've also said how it's flat I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to get over there, don't you worry!