New member joining the ranks

DBoycey
DBoycey Posts: 7
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Morning,

Ive just joined the forums after once again picking up the bug to get back on a bike. not a complete newb and have ridden my far share in the past (5 day Madrid to Santander and 7 day Zargreab to Dubrovnik) as well as that lovely London commuting we have to suffer with.

I have switched from a 2010 Boardman hybrid pro to a 2012 Cannondale Caad10 105 with a 9 month gap in between and I have to say, what a leap. the Caad10 is a beautiful road and I am actually enjoying cycling again after getting bored of the hybrid.

Already started looking at upgrades, most importantly the wheelset as I feel this is the Caad10's biggest weakness. It's other weakness is the tubby rider but hopefully that will soon sort itself out!

Been doing a lot of reading in these forums and I dare say I will have many questions soon as I get settled back down.

Regards

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    CAAD10 is nice, but you're right about the wheels. All manufacturers skimp on those even on pretty expensive bikes. A lighter set would make it sparkle.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Welcome. I bought my first carbon bike this time last year and like you was looking at upgrading the wheels. The best advice I was given was "wait until after the winter, ride the stock wheels whilst the rain and salt will do their worst and treat yourself in the spring for that extra burst of speed".

I eventually went for a set of hand-built wheels from wheelsmith.co.uk and could not be happier.

Upgrade the tires and buy loads of winter stuff to keep you motivated over the dark cold months to come.