Old summer bike as a winter bike?

Wobblehead
Wobblehead Posts: 264
edited September 2012 in Road buying advice
Just picked up a new bike, wrong time of year though, will be looking at it for the next six months.

Had my old bike for 4 years, 2007 Ridley Orion, Ultegra spec, Fulcrum 7's which has done me well.

Not sure if I would be better flogging this and buying a winter bike or just using what I have with either the raceblades I have (and never used) or full length crudcatchers.

Never ridden the Ridley in winter, I have in the past generally taken six months off but need to keep up the miles as my cycling protegee is closing in on me fast...

Would absolutely have to be cash neutral as I am in the dog house as it is....

Any advice greatly received

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Put some Crud Mk2 on it and you're good to go.

But 6 months off for winter? Where do you live that has a 6 month long winter?
    More problems but still living....
  • Yorks dales

usually turn to running in winter, never wanted to take bike out on seriously.wet or on salty roads, was trying to keep it for years as a summer bike.

seriously upped the mileage this year, got a mate into it and we are looking at maintaining fitness over winter with a view to starting next year in better shape than we did this year.....
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    cripes I couldn't go without riding for six months, dunno how you do that?
  • If you're not going to ride on poor winter days then sell the Ridley and get a turbo trainer use your new bike on that and run on the poor weather days. I doubt you will get enough good days in the winter to justify keeping the Ridley on those rare good days you'll more than likely want to get out on your new bike.

I'm looking at getting a winter bike as I hate driving to work and don't mind riding in poor weather, I also have a turbo for when it's too icy or there's snow on the roads, I'll also run a fair bit as well.
  • Thanks for the advice

Bought a turbo , used it twice, sat in garage for 2 years and sold it, hated the god damn thing. One lucky buyer got a bargain through BR classifieds.