Bling or not bling - first club ride

dubcat
dubcat Posts: 754
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Going on first ever ride with a cycling club tomorrow. Should I wear bling Bianchi jersey or plain black one? :)
2010 Specialized Rockhopper
2012 Bianchi Infinito

Comments

• Plain.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    FFS

wear what you want, no one will care.
  • I only ever wear my world champ stripes jersey when I'm riding with other people.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    do you own a bianchi, or looking to buy 1?

if they don't know you and you rock up in that and don't have some chat for why, they might think "he's one of those..."

same line as someone on a works bike with the team colours but is not signed to that make... wannabe...

If its a nice top and goes well with your stuff it will be fine, but first impressions :roll:
  • Drumlin
    Drumlin Posts: 120
    estampida wrote:
    if they don't know you and you rock up in that and don't have some chat for why, they might think "he's one of those..."
    same line as someone on a works bike with the team colours but is not signed to that make... wannabe...
    If its a nice top and goes well with your stuff it will be fine, but first impressions :roll:

If its the sort of club where you have to tread so carefully so as not to be thought of as 'one of those' then why would you want to join them at all ? My advice, wear whatever you like.
    Would welcome company for Sat rides west/south of Edinburgh, up to 3 hrs, 16mph ish. Please PM me if interested/able to help.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Just make sure the straps of your bib shorts are outside your jersey.
  • jay197
    jay197 Posts: 196
    Drumlin wrote:
    If its the sort of club where you have to tread so carefully so as not to be thought of as 'one of those' then why would you want to join them at all ? My advice, wear whatever you like.

Well said Drum, wear whatever you like, I am going to my first bike club run today too, and I am going to wear whatever suits the weather basically, and atm most of my gear is very cheap stuff from Sportsdirect and Aldi, but I don't give a monkeys what people think and neither should the OP.

I hope the OP has a great day.
  • OP, wear whatever you want man. If this club is so cliquey and up it's own arse that you get judged by your kit, rather than your actions and hat you say, you'd be quickly finding a new club anyway. Hope you have fun, I did my first bunched riding in a sportive a couple of weeks back, you can go much faster for longer!
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Dubcat wrote:
    Going on first ever ride with a cycling club tomorrow. Should I wear bling Bianchi jersey or plain black one? :)
    If your are the sort of person who has to ask this type of question, you are undoubtedly the type of person who may make a comment on it, so answer your own daft question.
  • charlie_potatoes
    charlie_potatoes Posts: 1,921
    edited September 2012
    I would wear the Yellow Jersey. It will make it easier for you to take control of the group :wink:

Edited to add that this is a tongue in cheek remark and an attempt (possibly a poor one) at humour.

Phew! glad I got that in before the base insults started :)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • NewTTer wrote:
    Dubcat wrote:
    If your are the sort of person who has to ask this type of question, you are undoubtedly the type of person who may make a comment on it, so answer your own daft question.

^^knob

enjoy your ride and wear what you like, good luck
  • jay197 wrote:
    Drumlin wrote:

Well said Drum, wear whatever you like, I am going to my first bike club run today too, and I am going to wear whatever suits the weather basically, and atm most of my gear is very cheap stuff from Sportsdirect and Aldi, but I don't give a monkeys what people think and neither should the OP.

Hope it goes well fella's.

I have looked into joining local clubs after 18 months riding on my own building up to feeling competent enough. Both of the clubs closest to me when asked about riding level requirements were so rude and hard to talk to I've decided to leave it for a while and look for somewhere else.
  • Well, well - some bloke turned up this morning on a Bianch but was wearing a plain black top - God how we laughed at him! Seriously Amir, hope Frank looked after you today and hope to see you back again (wearing whatever the hell you like!!!)
  • pauldavid wrote:
    jay197 wrote:
    Drumlin wrote:

Hope it goes well fella's.

I have looked into joining local clubs after 18 months riding on my own building up to feeling competent enough. Both of the clubs closest to me when asked about riding level requirements were so rude and hard to talk to I've decided to leave it for a while and look for somewhere else.

You should name names - did you speak the to bods at the club or just some random rider - in my experience the older riders who have invested a lot of time in club culture are only to keen to help and encourage- at the end of the day its your life and you should be able to ride with people with a similar outlook to your own, its all about having fun at the end of the day - so dont be put off, find another club and try a few trial runs with them.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 754
    Hi guys, just a quick update. In the end I decided to wear my plain top so that my black outfit would set off my white shoes and dayglo yellow aero helmet. I patiently sat on the wheel of the ride leader and jumped him at the cake stop.

In all seriousness, the question was not because I had some major hang up about what to wear. I was excited to be on my first club ride and I had no idea what the etiquette is. I only wore lycra for the first time about four rides ago! Sure, I could have just turned up and it would have been fine. I just thought I would ask since many people on here have a lot of experience with clubs and riding.

The club ride was excellent. I had a great time riding with other people rather than alone. I definitely want to join up and ride regularly with the club. It was so good to be around so many other bike addicted people. Anyone considering joining a club who has never tried one should give it a go.

Now please excuse me as I need to prepare my outfit with the world championship stripes for the next ride. I wish I had read JamesB5446's post earlier as I feel I missed a trick.

Millymoose - hope you have a great ride tomorrow :) Nice to meet you and thanks for the warm welcome :)
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • nice. wish i could find a good club in mallorca seems to be lots about but the only one im ny town seems most unwelcoming. I think its becuase im english but hey ho. I usually just ride past the whole group and then drop them and keep going. glad you found a good one makes me want to move back to the uk. Here is beautiful for cycling but lack of any sportives and I ride usually 7 hours on a sat and 8 hours every sunday and it gets boring on your own.
  • 'mallorcajeff' - don't know where you are but the club that dubcat joined up with today are out in Mallorca next March fpr a week. If you are near Pollensa look out for hoards of Redhill CC jersey's and tag along!
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:

Waaaahahahahahahahah, smashing. :D
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Kingy911 wrote:
    NewTTer wrote:
    Dubcat wrote:

^^knob

We will see who is the knob when he posts back that everything was fine and what was he worrying about. Oh he did already guess that makes you the knob.
  • NewTTer wrote:
    Kingy911 wrote:
    NewTTer wrote:
    Dubcat wrote:

^^knob

We will see who is the knob when he posts back that everything was fine and what was he worrying about. Oh he did already guess that makes you the knob.

Race for pinkies, thender road...or southend seafront ? :wink:
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:

So that's what I did wrong!
  • jay197
    jay197 Posts: 196
    If you want to make a good impression on your road bike don't forget a good helmet something plain like this should do it :

skull_helmet.jpg
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:

Waaaahahahahahahahah, smashing. :D

Don't laugh; one of the guys commuting (or daily morning riding) the opposite way from me does this, it's not a good look!
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    cheers milly funny i saw a hoard of red hill riders earlier this year and rode past a few times. I was the fat one in the htc kit everyone said hello to! will see you all again in march at some point, im out nearly every day.