flat bar road bike

allen
allen Posts: 214
edited October 2012 in Road buying advice
Any suggestions for a flat bar road bike for my daughter ? Shes keen on riding out with me at the minute and seems to want to do more so I want to get her something that will start her off. So dont want to go mad ....suggestions

Comments

• Giant FCR or Rapid is the closest you can get to a 'proper' road bike, but with flat bars. Definitely worth a look.
  • allen
    Hi all few more details she is 5ft 5 and 21. Wants to ride just roads but doesn t want drops. A lot of these have 32 tyres on. Putting 25s on there wouldn t work would it ?
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    budget?
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • allen
    re budget....well as it bank of Dad and 2 are at uni about £500. Anything flashier will have to wait until she is self funding ; )
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    At that price, I would say Boardman Hybrid Comp - £499 but with £40 off right now, another 10% off which you can get with British Cycling membership (which costs £10.80 if you use TForL12 code and pay by direct debit) - so around £415

You can also get 4.5% Quidco if you do that too.
  • Seconded for the Boardman Hybrid, I have one as does Mrs TG - hers is the 'female inspired' one.

Nice bikes for the money, just ensure that if Halfords assemble it they do it properly!

HTH
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    I started on a boardman team hybrid, really nice bikes though the X5 shifters arent amazing. Second hand set of X0 shifters (£50-60) really transforms it though.
  • allen
    thanks all the only thing I have against Boardmans is my extreme nervousness with Halfords and in many ways I would rather give my hard earned to a LBS
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Giant FCR or Rapid is the closest you can get to a 'proper' road bike, but with flat bars. Definitely worth a look.

+1 for the Giant Rapid series - either the Rapid 3 or 4.

Probably the closest you'll get to a road bike but with the straight bars you specify. The Rapid 3 got a pretty good review back in 2010:-

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 3-10-37899

Comes with 700 x 25 wheelset so a bit lighter and more road compatible than some other hybrid and cross bikes.

Probably get a good deal on one of the outgoing 2012 models if you search around eg:-

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/giant-ra ... 78221.html