Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

flat bar road bike

allenallen Posts: 214
edited October 2012 in Road buying advice
Any suggestions for a flat bar road bike for my daughter ? Shes keen on riding out with me at the minute and seems to want to do more so I want to get her something that will start her off. So dont want to go mad ....suggestions

• oxomanoxoman Posts: 11,724
    Allen might help if you tell us how old size etc and whether or not likely to go bike trails as well or just roads.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • Giant FCR or Rapid is the closest you can get to a 'proper' road bike, but with flat bars. Definitely worth a look.
  • allenallen Posts: 214
    Hi all few more details she is 5ft 5 and 21. Wants to ride just roads but doesn t want drops. A lot of these have 32 tyres on. Putting 25s on there wouldn t work would it ?
  • maddog 2maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    budget?
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
    re budget....well as it bank of Dad and 2 are at uni about £500. Anything flashier will have to wait until she is self funding ; )
  • apreadingapreading Posts: 4,535
    At that price, I would say Boardman Hybrid Comp - £499 but with £40 off right now, another 10% off which you can get with British Cycling membership (which costs £10.80 if you use TForL12 code and pay by direct debit) - so around £415

You can also get 4.5% Quidco if you do that too.
  • Seconded for the Boardman Hybrid, I have one as does Mrs TG - hers is the 'female inspired' one.

Nice bikes for the money, just ensure that if Halfords assemble it they do it properly!

HTH
  • paul_mckpaul_mck Posts: 1,058
    I started on a boardman team hybrid, really nice bikes though the X5 shifters arent amazing. Second hand set of X0 shifters (£50-60) really transforms it though.
    thanks all the only thing I have against Boardmans is my extreme nervousness with Halfords and in many ways I would rather give my hard earned to a LBS
  • arlowoodarlowood Posts: 2,561
    Giant FCR or Rapid is the closest you can get to a 'proper' road bike, but with flat bars. Definitely worth a look.

+1 for the Giant Rapid series - either the Rapid 3 or 4.

Probably the closest you'll get to a road bike but with the straight bars you specify. The Rapid 3 got a pretty good review back in 2010:-

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 3-10-37899

Comes with 700 x 25 wheelset so a bit lighter and more road compatible than some other hybrid and cross bikes.

Probably get a good deal on one of the outgoing 2012 models if you search around eg:-

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/giant-ra ... 78221.html