New Wheels Help

Redber67
Redber67 Posts: 19
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi - I am a newbie. Please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong section but I have that "where do I fit?" hybrid bike because it doesn't exactly fit the Road or MTB designation! I did think about the 29ers section, so if I should post this elsewhere I do apologise.

I have a Dawes 201 Discovery hybrid, but feel the time has come to replace my cheap stock no name 622x14 single walled alloy wheels/Quando hubs with something "better". By that I mean something a bit stronger, maybe with a more quality hub (Deore etc?), and if they can be a tad lighter that would be an added bonus. Tyres are as fitted - Kenda 35mm which quite suit me - my riding consists of the usual UK bumpy pot holed roads, cycle paths - inc gravel and grit, and the odd sections of muddy paths / tracks. As per most hybrid bikes - the rear axle space is 135mm.

My problem is - road and cyclo-cross wheels only come with 130mm axles, MTB wheels are 26", and the choice of 29ers would appear to be limited and too expensive for me and I would also like to stay around the 622x14 or 15 mark. I really don't want to pay more than £90 or £100 a pair, but would stretch to a bit more for the absolutely right choice if I have too. There are plenty of hybrid bike wheels on Amazon and elswhere, but I don't think they'll give me much if any improvement over what I already have. So I am looking for some unbiased advice please on suitable wheels that I could go away and consider. Thank you for any help you can give.

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    its very possible to have wheels built with a 135mm hub and a road / cx rim

deore and the like would work no problem

could even consider disk hubs for future compatability...