Commuting on Cobbled Streets!!!

Levi_501
Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
I have been looking at a way to commute to work for sometime, however the only route that I can realistically take has a good 2km section of cobbled streets.

Anyone one else have to do/done this?

Apart form the obvious slippery when went, is the consensus that it will destroy the wheels and bike?

I did wonder about installing a cheaper suspension fork.

Orange R8 steel frame MTB, with Kona Project 2 rigid forks.

Link to picture of style of cobbles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ItalianStones.jpg

Picture of one of the junctions I will be crossing.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Awesome - go for it.
  • * paging RIck Chasey to the thread.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Looks like you need a Trek Domane 6.9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBMLR0KAoLI
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    where do you work?

coronation street?

there are quite a few cobbled sections in Liverpool city centre, just go slow across them, in the rain they are lethal
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Wapping High Street?

rode through there once, never again.
    FCN = 4
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I understand that the nuns come that way.

IGMC
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

You need a Specialized and Quickstep kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BwnuBVUBsQ
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,657
    I quite enjoy the little cobbled climb I've found from Arthur Street up to Cannon Street - barely 200m of it, but it is feeling the back wheel scrabble for grip. Surely even a rigid MTB is more than capable.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition

Nonsense. If you've got the bread you need one of these
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Only a few hundred metres of cobbles each way for me, but I hammer whatever bike I'm on without any issues. My biggest problem is the lemming iPeds who assume that anything cobbled must be the pavement. Only yesterday I had to swerve around a guy who stepped out into the road wearing full-on headphones and reading the newspaper. With sight and hearing tied up, I can only assume he was relying on his sense of smell to avoid getting wiped out...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • I have a short stretch of cobbles on my commute, they're the standard, Edinburgh style:

307721968_b3fe30e3b9_z.jpg

Whilst it's not my favourite bit of the commute on 23c road tyres, it doesn't seem to have killed either me or the bike yet. No real problem in the wet, either, but they're the granite ones, I hear limestone ones get a lot slippier.
  • Levi_501
    I would love a Domane but I do not have the bread, nor do I live in Shaftesbury!

I had not thought about struggling for grip on the steeper sections.
  • Levi_501
    Just done it, whilst it may not destroy the bike, it will certainly destroy me!

I think I am suffering from white finger, white toe and any other vibration illness. My forearms are knackered!

It will have to be an investment in at least in a front fork if nothing else.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Thicker bar tape with gel inserts?

Less pressure in tyres?
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    You need one of these;

7918852.jpg
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Looks like you need a Trek Domane 6.9

Hmm, I could do with one of those for the bumps on Queen's Ride.
  • Levi_501
    vermin wrote:
    You need one of these;

7918852.jpg

Not sure my bike lock would fit
  • Levi_501
    If anyone is interested; a few months down the line I have come up with a modified recipe for the R8.

Kona Project 2s forks have been replaced with Manitou Minutes 100mm travel forks

Specilized FasTrak LKs have replaced the Schwable Marathon Pluses. I run the LKs at 40psi, for reference these where just what I had lying around

Seat post has been replaced with a FSA carbon jobbie. Believe it or not this really takes the harshness of the cobbles.

Lastly, I have tightened up all the spokes on the rear wheel which has helped enormously.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    Wapping High Street?

rode through there once, never again.

Used to work very near there. Loved riding them. May have taken the odd detour on my way to work...

@Levi - I've found that double bar tape and riding hard over them did the job.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    My cobble riding ability improved after fitting 1.9" Big Apple tyres.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I've ridden the cobbles in Lille, Brugge, Koblenz, Roubaix the Amstel gold race and every morning Sussex pl. Paddington makes no difference

MTFU
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Levi_501
    cjcp wrote:
    @Levi - I've found that double bar tape and riding hard over them did the job.

Thanks, I am considereing a set of carbon bars, either some EC90s or perhaps the Exotic ones.

I will probobly add them to one of my next orders.