Schwalbe Ultremo ZX for the Summer, what now for the Winter

andyboyce
andyboyce Posts: 156
edited September 2012 in Road buying advice
I have been riding on Schwalbe Ultremo ZX's for the Summer on my Mavic Ksyrium Elite's and a Specialized Roubaix.

I love the tyres, they are really light and fast but I dont think that they are going to be up to the Winter conditions.

Can anyone please advise on a suitable set of Winter tyres. I ride approx 3 times a week for an hour and a 3-4 hourer at the weekend + occassional Sportive.

Thanks.

Comments

• Vittoria Rubino Pros. A great all round tyre, hard wearing, good for winter.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    If your budget will allow, Vittoria's Open Pave CG are simply awesome, supple but hard wearing. Shiny bikes have them listed at an incredible £33 each - usually nearer £50 elsewhere. I'd check their stock before ordering though ( see other posts for issues with out of stock items at Shiny).
  • Found the Rubino's on here...what the difference between the slick, apart from £2 please ?
    http://www.parker-international.co.uk/S ... ino%20Pro/
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Continental 4 Seasons are a good all-rounder for winter IMO.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    ajb72 wrote:
    If your budget will allow, Vittoria's Open Pave CG are simply awesome, supple but hard wearing. Shiny bikes have them listed at an incredible £33 each - usually nearer £50 elsewhere. I'd check their stock before ordering though ( see other posts for issues with out of stock items at Shiny).
    These are my next tyres to try, sound good though :wink:
  • andyboyce wrote:
    Found the Rubino's on here...what the difference between the slick, apart from £2 please ?
    http://www.parker-international.co.uk/S ... ino%20Pro/

Its literally only the tread pattern. The Pro's have a slightly grippier tread pattern, so thats all the £2 difference is. Otherwise pretty much the same.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Rubino Pros are great.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • I used my ultermo's last winter and they were fine so i'm gonna use them through the winter again and buy a shiny new pair come spring!!!
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    giant man wrote:
    ajb72 wrote:
    These are my next tyres to try, sound good though :wink:

You won't be disappointed. I've found them to be really grippy in the damp, and after last winter they were virtually unmarked. That green contact patch has a touch of the paris-roubaix about it too :wink:
  • hubcap
    hubcap Posts: 163
    I agree, the Open Pave's are lovely tyres and they ride sooooo nicely, but I found I couldn't run them through winter earlier this year as I got too many punctures on the roads round my way, the compound is pretty soft and the small flints kept getting through. They've been lovely through the rest of this year though.

I'm shortly going to be putting on some Ultremo DD's, probably won't ride as nice as the Pave's but I would rather have the added protection that they are supposed to give....time will tell whether that is actually the case though!
  • Shwalbe Durano plus. Roll well & only one flat last winter
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    1_reaper wrote:
    Shwalbe Durano plus. Roll well & only one flat last winter

+1 :D
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    1_reaper wrote:
    Shwalbe Durano plus. Roll well & only one flat last winter

Durano S much lighter and nicer and still very good puncture protection as long as you remove any glass from the rubber.
    Standard Durano if you can't be bothered to do that!

Plus a bit excessive in my opinion unless your route is through a metal scrapyard!
    Faster than a tent.......