Xfire bike lane safety light

memsley89
memsley89 Posts: 247
edited February 2013 in Commuting chat
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57520654-1/xfire-safety-laser-light-makes-a-portable-nighttime-bike-lane/ (please excuse the americanism and the use of 'bicyclists' numerous times!)

Your thoughts? Would it really make motorists allow extra space while overtaking?
I guess the "we have a 5-feet-to-pass law" means this device makes more sense over there.

If it really is as bright as they say it is (how bright is '5mW?') it'd be fun atleast to have bike LAZERS :P

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    They mandate 5 feet of room? Wow.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    But that light isn't marking anywhere near enough room, let alone 5 feet.
  • hmmmm....want one.

but lets be honest, it'd never ever be that bright or be as good as the pic implies (or wide enough as someone said)
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    Manufacturer/Distributor's video, but if gives you an idea of effectiveness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix2sNGhXJ2c
    Boardman CX Team
  • I can't help but think it might just end up distracting drivers from watching where they should be going.
  • I can't help but think it might just end up distracting drivers from watching where they should be going.

+1

saw one being used on Upper st while in car with Ms B and we agreed highly distracting. That may be down to the novelty factor...
  • The Ors
    The Ors Posts: 130
    You can see the lasers shining right on his legs!

How far can you ride like that before it saws your legs right off? :o
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The Ors wrote:
    You can see the lasers shining right on his legs!

How far can you ride like that before it saws your legs right off? :o

Yeah - eventually some evil cyclist will use it to hold the world to ransom for ONE MILLION DOLLARS.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    Ordered one a couple of days ago; hopefully should be here in a week to ten days;
    will let you know my opinion...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI. ... 0595347118
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • lighty89
    lighty89 Posts: 183
    I ordered one off eBay the other week.
    They are really good, suprisingly bright the laser is as well!
    MTB - VooDoo Bantu
    Commuter - Raleigh Grande
  • Excuse the thread resurrection... I forgot to post:
    8453261810_ee0a1652b7_z.jpg

It's actually really awesome, smashes rechargaebale batteries though (at most a couple of hours)
    It appears that motorists give me extra space when overtaking, think it just confuses most!
  • They look good when you're standing over them, but how noticeable are the lines from further away?
    I followed someone with a similar one, and until I got within about 10m it just looked like a normal light.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That 5feet loks very like 18" to me, I guess it was measured by a women who's husband was claiming THAT was 12"!

I'd consider that on that red line was too close anyway, our highway code says we should be given as much space as apssing a car (yeah as if!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    This is likely the most vague post ever but I was listening to Radio 4 a few weeks back and there was a programe about young entrepreneurs and one of the ladies on it was developing a light that shines a cyclist icon on the road behind the bike. Sounded quite interesting but I can't for the life of me remember its name.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    That 5feet loks very like 18" to me, I guess it was measured by a women who's husband was claiming THAT was 12"!

I'd consider that on that red line was too close anyway, our highway code says we should be given as much space as apssing a car (yeah as if!)

I'm going to hazard a guess here that the '5ft' is the distance between the two lines?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    mrc1 wrote:
    This is likely the most vague post ever but I was listening to Radio 4 a few weeks back and there was a programe about young entrepreneurs and one of the ladies on it was developing a light that shines a cyclist icon on the road behind the bike. Sounded quite interesting but I can't for the life of me remember its name.

http://www.blazecomponents.com/
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Been thinking a lot about these. Does anyone honestly think a couple re laser light lines would stop close pass from a car. More likely driver will see it as how close they can be rather than must be and pass closer than they might. If they were going to squeeze in a gap they still will. The only practical application is to make the cyclist highly visable at night; I would have thought it would be better to use a wide angled light mounted on the seat post pointing down to illuminate a big red spot on the ground and hopefully illuminating the rider and bike as well.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Sketchley wrote:
    Does anyone honestly think a couple re laser light lines would stop close pass from a car.
    If you set it to 'stun' it might :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    tetm wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:

http://www.blazecomponents.com/

That's the one - thanks.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • desweller
    Sketchley wrote:
    Been thinking a lot about these. Does anyone honestly think a couple re laser light lines would stop close pass from a car. More likely driver will see it as how close they can be rather than must be and pass closer than they might. If they were going to squeeze in a gap they still will. The only practical application is to make the cyclist highly visable at night; I would have thought it would be better to use a wide angled light mounted on the seat post pointing down to illuminate a big red spot on the ground and hopefully illuminating the rider and bike as well.

Seems like a needlessly over-complicated way of doing what this used to do:

safetywing.jpg
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Sketchley wrote:

Hope District 3 then.

Aimed down at the wheels when you have spoke reflectors on makes for an astonishing display and the entire road behind you is bathed in a red glow
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • DesWeller wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

Seems like a needlessly over-complicated way of doing what this used to do:

safetywing.jpg

Looks like a useful device to stop pedestrians and mobility scooters from passing too close :wink:
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Do you get double points if you have a saftey lollipop on each side?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • desweller
    Sketchley wrote:
    Do you get double points if you have a saftey lollipop on each side?

It's a short step from 'safety lollipop' to 'Ben Hur hub spikes' isn't it.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DesWeller wrote:
    safetywing.jpg

Looks like a useful device to stop pedestrians and mobility scooters from passing too close :wink:

OK, we know it doesn't look cool - but imagine it in carbon weave, with black reflectives and tungsten carbide bits sticking out the end so that if anyone does pass too close they get a modified paint job :D
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yould still look a prat......doesn't matter what you make it from it still adds aero drag as well!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    safetywing.jpg

OK, we know it doesn't look cool - but imagine it in carbon weave, with black reflectives and tungsten carbide bits sticking out the end so that if anyone does pass too close they get a modified paint job :D

Yes but it's on the wrong side (assuming you are riding / driving on the left). This would only be useful (in the loosest sense of the word) to discourage close passing on the left.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Yes but it's on the wrong side (assuming you are riding / driving on the left). This would only be useful (in the loosest sense of the word) to discourage close passing on the left.

That's quite an assumption given that most people drive/ride on the right! And the bike doesn't exactly look British.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Apropos, I passed a chap this morning with a large 'keep left' roadsign on the back of his backpack. I wasn't sure if he'd stuck/sewn it on at the wrong angle or was encouraging people to cut up the inside.
  • desweller
    Look, it's the only bloody photo I could find on Google all right? I mean, what do you even call it? Safety squirrel lollipop? Sticky-out reflector?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}