Basic bike maintenance

the playing mantis
the playing mantis Posts: 2,129
edited September 2012 in Road beginners
Ok i have now got my first oad bike, whats are the newbie essentials for maintaining it, keep it clean obviouslt, but how about dry/wet lubes, etc etc, and how often does maintenance need to be done to keep it in top condition?

thanks

Comments

• Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Lots of good Youtube instructional videos about bike maintenance, worth spending an evening browsing through them.
    How often depends on weather and mileage. I have a can of GT85 which is like WD40 but with teflon lubricant in it. This is good for washing down, then i use FinishLine dry lube for the chain. Wipe off after application, as all excess lube just attracts dirt and grit which can then abrade your parts. Spot of grease every now and then where the brake and gear cables pass through or over something. Wipe off excess water from chain and cassette when riding in the rain. Keep your bike clean and your bike will keep you clean.
  • bit of advice

moving parts require grease not lubrication

chain lube on chain - wipe down excess
    nothing on gear cogs at all.

watch tutorials on adjusting gears

perhaps get a chain measuring device
  • ok thanks, how often should lube be applied (awaits wise cracks)
  • lol!
    it will depend on how often you ride and in what conditions
    if you are a 1-2 times a week man on dry days only then once a month would suffice
    if you are commuting daily in all conditions then at least once a week

not really worth adding lube to a dirty chain though so bear that in mind too
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Since commuting in the rain. My once well lubricated chain, cassette and derailleurs have picked up lots of crud.

Whats the best degreaser product? And then is it just a matter of wiping the chain with a rag and then applying new lube?

Thanks.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    I use this: http://www.cleaninghygienedirect.co.uk/index.aspx?pageid=954363&prodid=4309904 (basically the same as bike specific degreaser at a fraction of the price) in a chain cleaner, easiest way of giving the chain a scrubbing without removing it. Also worth giving the sprockets a scrub with a stiff-bristled brush if they've picked up a lot of crap, then wipe clean with a rag and apply lube.

I do this every couple of hundred miles, more often if it's a bit mucky on the roads.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Would this degreaser from Screwfix be ok for the chain & cassette?
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    hard to tell, theres no real info in the link. I'd recommend something like GT85 spray as a degreaser, then relube as necessary