sag question.

joppe
joppe Posts: 2
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
So I recently bought a new set of Reba's. It took me a while to get them set up but they are now very plush and I am using all of the travel regularly without bottoming out. The only thing I don't understand is the sag. Everybody seems to recommend between 20-30% sag. But my sag is barely even 15%. I was setting the fork using 20-25% and was bottoming the fork out.
So, being a bit of a noob with air forks. Is something wrong or is it a case of if it works, it works?
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
renovera kök

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i'm a bit crap with things like this, but i've always just thought that if it feels ok and i'm happy then no worries.

not the most technical answer and i'm sure someone will come and put me straight :lol: are they air or coil forks btw?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    If they are air, you probably need more pressure in both chambers, but relatively more in the negative. Howeve, if you like the way they ride, then just leave them.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Might be 2013s with single air.

Check how you are measuring sag too, full on attack where your weight will naturally be more to the front.
  • joppe wrote:
    So I recently bought a new set of Reba's.

single air, dual air, or coil?

the answer to the sag question does depend on which type you have.
  • joppe wrote:
    So I recently bought a new set of Reba's. It took me a while to get them set up but they are now very plush and I am using all of the travel regularly without bottoming out.
    So, you're not actually using all the travel then.
    There's nothing wrong with bottoming the fork out on occasion.
  • Might be wrong but I can't see a coil Reba.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Might be wrong but I can't see a coil Reba.

you're probably right, i asked the question but then thought after they may only be air....
  • joppe wrote:
    So I recently bought a new set of Reba's. It took me a while to get them set up but they are now very plush and I am using all of the travel regularly without bottoming out.
    I think he might mean he's using within 1-2mm of the last bit of travel but not actually feeling that clunk that comes with bottoming out.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    joppe wrote:
    I think he might mean he's using within 1-2mm of the last bit of travel but not actually feeling that clunk that comes with bottoming out.
    so he is not using all the travel.

But year and version of fork is needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown