Topped 100 miles

Philinmerthyr
Philinmerthyr Posts: 135
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Started cycling again last Tuesday. Been out at night and in wind and rain. Done 8 rides covering a total of 100 miles.

Still a long way to go to be able to do the 100 miles in a day that I have planned for next August but its a good start.

My starting weight of 22 st 7lb has dropped to below 22st.

All in all feeling pretty pleased with myself. Spent a fortune in bike shops as well but I've earned that. :lol:

Comments

• dashik
    dashik Posts: 156
    Nice one, Keep up the good work. It's strange but once you start it's hard to stop. I get annoyed if I have to miss a day :(
  • getprg
    getprg Posts: 245
    I really admire your motivation to get started - I only weighed 12 stone 3lbs when I started and every mile hurt. Good luck, keep it up and I'm sure that first sportive or challenge ride will be much closer than you believe at the rate of progress you are makIng.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Get the miles in before the weather starts getting worser
  • good work phil!
    it really drops off when you get the consistancy up
  • I'd suggest you don't spend to much on clothing just yet!!

You'll be needing the skinny stuff in no time :D
  • I'd suggest you don't spend to much on clothing just yet!!

You'll be needing the skinny stuff in no time :D

I hope so. Another 10 miles in the Brecon Beacons today. Planning a 30 mile tomorrow. I know I should have a rest day but I'm enjoying riding. 8)
  • oxoman wrote:
    10 miles in the brecons is good going especially if its in the hilly bits.
    most places are hilly here. 5 miles up hill from my front door to Pontsticill reservoir before a blast on the way home. :D
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Get the miles in before the weather starts getting worser

He's in Merthyr - the weather is permanently crap but he'll be hard enough to not bother!
  • Good work OP. Get strava now, don't wait till 300 miles before sorting it out - it's really satisfying to see how far you've come performance wise. I got the bug 2 months ago, from 14st 11 to 13st 10 so far, and 3 belt holes smaller round the gut.
    2 chins down, 1 to go!

PS - you've started it now, you'll be doing sportives in no time - it gets addictive!
  • PS - you've started it now, you'll be doing sportives in no time - it gets addictive!

I've been using Strava and its great. I'm a gadget freak so its just what I need to add a bit of motivation.

I passed 150 miles tonight in only 2 weeks. I've lost 11lb. Tonight I did 15 miles at nearly 13 miles an hour. This is on a front suspension, heavy mountain bike but with road tyres fitted. An improvement of over 2mph from when I started. It also felt much easier.

Decent kit helps. I got an Altura evo night vision jacket, good rechargeable lights and mudguards. They make life much more comfortable.

Can't wait for my birthday in Feb as I'm promised myself a new road bike.