Entry Level Bikes

r1c1
r1c1 Posts: 12
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I'm looking at buying my first proper mountain bike to use for a mix of road and trail riding with occasional wheelies, bunny hops ec. Going by test scores it seemed to come down to Voodoo Hoodoo or Carrera Vulcan.

Are these bikes upgradeable in the future or am I better of getting Specialized Hardrock Disc? I like the look of the disc but the Halfords models seem better spec'd.

Does fork lockout make a big difference when road riding?

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They are much better than the Hardrock. End of.
    And lockout - IMHO - no. If it's there, fine, if not no worries.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • r1c1
    Just read the sticky at the start of this section and it mentions Voodoo Bantu and Rockrider 5.3.

My local Decathlon doesn't stock 5.3. Looks like I've got it down to 3 bikes.

Anyone got a comparison of Hoodoo, Bantu and Vulcan? Or are there any others I should be checking out?

Thanks agan.
  • r1c1 wrote:
    Does fork lockout make a big difference when road riding?

Thanks
    When on road yeah it makes a difference, but only when stood up pedalling. Off road it isn't used.
  • My advice, buy one of them, but second hand. There are loads of people who started at entry level, got totally bit by the mtb bug and upgraded really quickly.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    r1c1 wrote:
    Hi

I'm looking at buying my first proper mountain bike to use for a mix of road and trail riding with occasional wheelies, bunny hops ec. Going by test scores it seemed to come down to Voodoo Hoodoo or Carrera Vulcan.
    you seem to be missing the most recommended one http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2012-id_8 ... nformation
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    Id get the Hoodoo, it's only £435 at the moment
  • r1c1
    LJ. wrote:
    Id get the Hoodoo, it's only £435 at the moment

Where did you see it for 435? Can only see it for 474 on Halfords site. Ignore this comment - Just clicked checkout on Halfords site and saw discount. Thanks

Does anyone know if the Hoodoo is worth the extra £100 over the Carrera Vulcan from Halfords.

I looked at the Decathlon bikes but my local outlet doesn't have any of the good ones in stock so I can't go and try them.