Sign o' the times...

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
Shopping in a department store in enfield for a sauté pan. Happen to be in Lycra as I've been running errands on the bike all day.

Random middle aged woman says to me..." Ooh, I thought it was Bradley wiggins until I saw you didn't have any sideburns!!"

Can you imagine that even 6 months ago??

My response? I grabbed a handful of (my) gut and said " wiggo doesn't have to shift this up the French alpes!!"

Comments

• Nice tho'
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • I was cycling through Ashbourne (shared path) and cycled past a crowd of people (family group). The father shouted as I went past "Ayup, he's Wiggo winning the tour!"

I laughed and shouted back "what? With THIS gut???"
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • I usually get, "I didn't know George Clooney rode a bike!" :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    And they usually stop me and say "Hello, i would like to engage in consentual sexual intercourse with you"

Always makes me smile.
  • PBo wrote:
    Ooh, I thought it was Bradley wiggins until I saw you didn't have any sideburns!!"

I had a lad ask me if I was Bradley Wiggins at bestival...
    In his defence, I do have wiggo-esque sideburns!
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    havent been in pearsons in many years, enfield is not a place id go to in lycra...

once got started on by an 11year old kid just because i had the audacity to hold the door open for him.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    spasypaddy wrote:
    havent been in pearsons in many years, enfield is not a place id go to in lycra...

once got started on by an 11year old kid just because i had the audacity to hold the door open for him.

Lived up this way for a year now, and always go to Enfield on Lycra. Never had a problem.....
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    A few cycling clubs meet up in the town before weekend rides so the sight of fat men in lycra shouldn't alarm any shoppers.

Enfield isn't too bad - just stick to the right side of the A10. Pearsons is pretty good, at least it was before
    they took away staff discount cards for spouses.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Can't believe no one has mentioned a 'sauté ' pan. Blimey, how middle class is that?
    FCN = 4
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    Can't believe no one has mentioned a 'sauté ' pan. Blimey, how middle class is that?

I defy anyone who actaully cooks to not prefer using a big saute pan with a lid.
  • MTB-Idle wrote:

I defy anyone who actaully cooks to not prefer using a big saute pan with a lid.

I find they're much more suited to the tom and jerry style pan to the face than just a frying pan.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    MTB-Idle wrote:

True. I think of it as the European equivalent to the wok.