Suitable chain lube?

h34e0f
h34e0f Posts: 370
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Hi, I have been using the only lube I had - which was some Muc off wet lube - for mtb.

Is there anything I should be using that's specific to road bikes? The wet lube acted like a magnet to road grime and grit and now my drivetrain is a total mess (worse than It should be...)

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    No difference here between MTB and Road bikes.

I always though Dry lube for dry weather (attracts less dirt but doesn't survive wet weather) and Wet lube for wet weather (lasts longer in the wet but attracts dirt)

But then I read this http://roadcyclinguk.com/blogs/davids-blog/wet-chain-lube-versus-dry.html and now I'm confused.
  • I've used finish line ceramic wax lube that goes on wet and dries... but despite supposedly being a dry lube it still picks up an annoying amount of dust and I get the dreaded black paste.

So I bought some fenwicks stealth lube based on reviews i've seen (eg. http://www.triradar.com/gear/fenwicks-stealth-chain-lube-review/)

I've heard morgan blue is supposed to be good too. (Team sky use it so it can't be that bad)
  • h34e0f
    h34e0f Posts: 370
    Hmm I guess maybe I should work on my maintenance and clean the bike more often. How do people clean transmission on a regular basis? I'm lazy and tend to leave it until it needs a full strip down and soak and scrub (which I know is not ideal!)
  • Bloody Hell!!!

I've just bought some wet lube ready for winter :evil: gonna have to find something else to use it on

WIFEY, bend over :lol:
  • Nothing wrong with 'wet' lube.

I use Green Oil, and would recommend it highly, but I'd also recommend Finish Line 'Cross Country' (the one in the green bottle) to anyone; it's cheap, available and very good. It's most important that you use the stuff: drizzle a bit on, spin cranks, wipe excess. Job done.
  • Another vote for finish line "cross country"
    Specialized FSR XC Comp
    Scott Speedster S55
  • ian_s
    ian_s Posts: 183
    Another vote for finish line "cross country"

+1 been very impressed with this. Doesnt pick up too much sh1t if not over applied.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    It's true, nothing wrong with wet lube, I use it summer and winter. Rock n Roll Gold for summer, and Finish Line 'Cross Country' for winter use, and it's fine. I don't get on with dry lubes anyway, and I don't think you should really take too much notice of whatever reviews you see, online or elsewhere. If you like dry lube, use it, and if you don't, then it's wet lube. Simple, really ......
  • jthef
    jthef Posts: 226
    Gizmodo wrote:
    No difference here between MTB and Road bikes.

I always though Dry lube for dry weather (attracts less dirt but doesn't survive wet weather) and Wet lube for wet weather (lasts longer in the wet but attracts dirt)

But then I read this http://roadcyclinguk.com/blogs/davids-blog/wet-chain-lube-versus-dry.html and now I'm confused.

I use squirt it and its brill except for wet and salty weather.
    The good points 8)
    Very easy to apply.
    Last for ages in the summer
    No cleaning of the chain
    Chain lasts longer aprx 500 miles (see note below though)

Bad points :(
    I find it washes off too easily so reapplied ever other ride in wet conditions.
    The last 2 winters I have used it I have snapped 2 chains usually after the bike has been off the road for over a week due to very bad weather and illness, I know the first year I went home in bad weather and put the bike away for Christmas but did not apply lube. After Christmas chain was stiff and rusty so relubed and rode ok but shortly after had multiple chain breakages. the second year not as sure what went wrong but think I did not lube it enough when it was cold dry and salty roads. Hopefully I have learnt now. :oops:
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    wilo13 wrote:
    Fenwicks is the lube to buy. I have been using Finish line dry lube which is good but Fenwicks is better.
    What makes it better?
  • white-lightning-lube-252x300.jpg

or

weldtite-tf2-performance-lubricant-with-teflon-100ml.jpg
    Ghost Race 5000 (2011) Shimano 105 Black
    Carrera TDF (2007)

http://www.bike-discount.de/#

http://www.bike24.com/
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    Yes, that Muc Off lube makes a right mess. The lube bottle only has to look at the chain and within 5 seconds the whole drive train is black!

I will personally use it though during the winter, as I still have a bottle left, albeit very sparingly with a wipe down of the chain after application. I will probably clean the drive train after every two rides to keep on top of it.

During the summer I used the Rock and Roll lube, which kept things nice and clean, but would only last circa 3 rides before a new application was required.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Prolink Gold for me. Chain is silky smooth and stays clean. Switched to it after other lubes left chain a black sticky mess.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I've been planning to try the fenwicks lube but couldn't get any locally - so got some progold xtreme. Very good in the dry, I only need to lube it every couple hundred miles. I did 80 miles yesterday and the chain looks no different to when it started.

When it's wet out, then it needs oiling more regularly. And if the chain's wet, a quick run through in a rag to remove any water when you get back in.

I'm still going to try the fenwicks when this stuff runs out though.
  • Diamant49
    Diamant49 Posts: 101
    bahzob wrote:
    Prolink Gold for me. Chain is silky smooth and stays clean. Switched to it after other lubes left chain a black sticky mess.

+1 for Prolink Gold. Following the recommendation in Zinn & the Art of Road Bike Maintenance, I use it after each ride - give the chain a run through a rag, quick clean of jockey wheels & chain rings. Drop of oil (with Prolink fine applicator thingy) on each link and spin round. Usually give it a quick spin through a rag before leaving for a ride - takes off the excess and any additional crud.

Sounds like a lot, but its not more than a few minutes and once you get into the habit it means that the drivetrain is always in top condition and degreasing is kept to a minimum. If it prolongs the life of the chain (Record 10sp.) etc. it will save me a small fortune.....
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Diamant49 wrote:
    bahzob wrote:

+1 for Prolink Gold. Following the recommendation in Zinn & the Art of Road Bike Maintenance, I use it after each ride - give the chain a run through a rag, quick clean of jockey wheels & chain rings. Drop of oil (with Prolink fine applicator thingy) on each link and spin round. Usually give it a quick spin through a rag before leaving for a ride - takes off the excess and any additional crud.

Sounds like a lot, but its not more than a few minutes and once you get into the habit it means that the drivetrain is always in top condition and degreasing is kept to a minimum. If it prolongs the life of the chain (Record 10sp.) etc. it will save me a small fortune.....

Might be worth trying the newer 'Xtreme' version of Prolink ProGold - it stays put better.
  • g00se wrote:
    Diamant49 wrote:
    bahzob wrote:

Might be worth trying the newer 'Xtreme' version of Prolink ProGold - it stays put better.

Another vote for the Prolink Pro Gold. It’s the only lube I’ll let near my Super Record groupset and I used it on my all weather training bike too. It works in wet and dry conditions and it’s silky smooth. I’ve tried wet lubes and dry lubes and wax lubes and Teflon lubes and lubes made from fairy tears...NONE have been as good as PLPG.

Wasn’t aware there was a different version. As I’m down to the dregs I’ll try it out next.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    ...and to de-grease a black wet lubed chain I find the Green Oil degreasant is great, it's not a thin liquid so doesn't just run off, you can squeeze it onto the chain and ride it around the block to make sure it has really got into those little important places! wash off as usual.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Glad to see another Green Oil user! I love their products. Eco warrior guilty as charged, but I can't fault them nonetheless.