Cannon Flash 1

jaminbrazil
jaminbrazil Posts: 4
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
I've sold all my bikes in an effort to downsize my bike footprint and am looking for one bike to rule them all (except road). A hardtail is ideal for 80% of the riding I do. So, LBS #1 says the Flash is amazing! I've ridden one around the parking lot and have some experience w/the lefty (not the new one) and just loved it. I'm not going to lie...for me, the bike is very attractive which is a bit driver...

http://www.cannondale.com/2013/bikes/mountain/hardtail-29er/f-series-29er/f29-carbon-1-28490

So, my buddy that works at LBS #2 and isn't a Can dealer says...

...and the bottom bracket is stupidly low for technical terrain...

and then...

Thoughts:
- Lefty forks suck and always have. They are light, cool looking and crap.
- I wouldn't buy first generation technology. The new SRAM 1x11 looks awesome, but I'd wait until next year so the kinks get worked out
- I'd stick to proven technology and bikes that are easy to get replacement parts for. Proprietary stuff is a HUGE pain in the ass
- A lot of 29er bikes will be too big for you in their smallest (medium) size. For reference, at 5'11" I'm running a 600 top tube and would have a 90 stem with that on a race bike.

So, my biggest concern is his point about the BB being too low. Please advise. Thanks!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Your link does not work.
  • marz
    marz Posts: 130
    Lefty forks are great and I have friends who have used them trouble free for years.
    The SRAM 1x11 looks great and is something I intend to upgrade to, once there's a few more long term reviews out there.
    I have a couple friends shorter than 5'11'' who ride 29er's with no problems at all.

I've found low BB height only a problem in the corners and when trying to pedal through. Pedal strikes are more frequent and you do have to sometimes time your pedaling to clear step ups and rooty/rocky corners.

My bike has a 12.1 bb height, which is pain, but a minor pain to the plus points of riding a good 29er hardtail.
  • link corrected
  • My inseam is 30.5 inches when I set my feet ~8" apart and straddle a straight edge then measure the distance from the top of the level to the ground.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I went through the webby and got this link http://www.cannondale.com/2013/bikes/mountain/hardtail-29er/f-series-29er/f29-carbon-1-28490

Bike looks great for sure, don't know anyone with a Lefty but only ever heard good reviews. You'll pay a wee bit more for getting into XXI right at the start, but if you want it, go get it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.