Superstar Review (orig. Easton EA90XC Wheelset)

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,391
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys

http://www.eastoncycling.com/en-us/ea90-xc-26

A certain shop has these at a stunning price. I would be looking at them for XC riding, trail centres and all day, natural rides on an XCesque HT. Has anyone got any experiences of them? I ve heard that the bearings are suspect (but then can't i just whack a good set in when they go?) and they re the same hubs as the Havens.

The alternative is some Superstar wheels on Stans Arch EX rims, similar price but much heavier

Thanks
DaveK
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd take the Superstar, but with Crests for XC. Lighter, wider rim (if that is what you need), handbuilt with a full 32 spokes (stiffer), swappable axle kits for the front (if you need them), faster engagement. And cheaper.
  • ddraver
    What if the Eastons were the same price sonic...?

Seriously!
    - @ddraver
  • supersonic
    Even then, I'd take the superstar. Everything just seems better!
  • ddraver
    OK, well while I ve got you, Would you pay for the CX-ray spokes? I'm after strength and longevity as priorities.
    - @ddraver
  • supersonic
    Depends what set you are looking at, some come as standard with them. If I wanted light as possible with good stiffness and strength, yes.
  • ddraver
    OK - to superstar it is then! Thanks Bud, as generous with your help as always!
    - @ddraver
  • supersonic
    The EA90s were horrifically overpriced, and even reduced are beaten by other builds!
  • D4V1D
    D4V1D Posts: 233
    I'm in the same predicament as well. I like the EA90XC rims as they are tubeless ready with out the need for
    rim tape, & the 1/2 price offer.

What's the best wheel set, light weight, strong, fast engaging hub, tubeless rims for the £340 - £380 mark.
    Thanks David T
    I'm not a racer, but I like to churn out 2-3hr rides,
    I love Cannock and Llandegla cycle parks.
    Cube Acid 2010
    Upgraded RockShox Reba RL Forks, twin air.
    Updrade RockShox dropper seat post.
    Went tubeless DIY style using a 20" BMX tube. Lasting well.
  • ddraver
    I'm going for the ArchEX's on Tesla hub Front, Superleggera Back with the CX-ray spokes. Moon glu are doing the Crests on Hope Pro II Evo's for a similar price, and Hope Hopes do Crest or Flow rims, but not Arch's (otherwise I'd have got them)
    - @ddraver
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Easton hubs are gash. Everyone I know who's had one has sent them back at least once. The Tesla hubs seem great though. Running a rear at the moment and still flawless.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • As sonic says, if it's an XC wheelset your after go for the Crests. Go for the Arch EX if you want something that can take a good hammering too
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ddraver
    Hmm, and Arch's for a fat guy riding XC ;)
    - @ddraver
  • :lol: - I guess so!

Trek Session 8
  • ddraver
    Hi Guys

Well ordered the Superstar wheels on Friday night and they arrived today (wednesday). They appear to be well enough made (although I'm no expert). I thought going for the lime green Telsla hub with the white rims was a huge fail when i opened the box, but in fairness, it looks ok on the bike.

First ride was a thrash up the local sustrans path with the old man, with a bit of off roading next to the path, so not too much of a test. They feel very stiff, much more so than the Mavic XM819's on hope hubs that they replaced. I emphasise that those wheels are getting on for 6 years old now and have taken a pasting so it's not a fair test really! Power transfer felt better and steering was much improved (even on my flexy Ti bike). Pickup from the Superleggera hub is outstanding, better than any of the Shimano, Hope or Mavic (road) hubs I ve ever tried. Obviously it's too early to comment on bearing life but i went for hubs with industry standard bearings so if they do go early I can just whack em out and replace them with Decent bearings bought for peanuts online

Overall, thus far, i'm very impressed. The only draw back is that the superstar rim tape is useless, it moves so much it's actually sticking out of the rim in places despite my best efforts to keep it in - Some velux (or maybe tubeless??) will be going in there post haste!
    - @ddraver
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    #1 - lime green and white will always be a fail

#2 - yes, the SS rim tape is complete and utter shite

Trek Session 8
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Is there any sort of agreement on what the best hubs are, or is it one of those get-the-popcorn questions? Is a Hope better than a Trizoid or a Tesla etc.?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • IMHO, based on weights and engagement points etc...

Switch hub = Hope pro II
    Trizoid / Tesla = I9

The tesla should be more durable than the trizoid because of how the pawls are designed (I read this on here the other day), although my trizoid has had no issues whatsoever in 6months of very wet, very muddy weather, and everything from light XC, to DH at inners.

That's a very simplistic view of it though.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    #1 - lime green and white will always be a fail

#2 - yes, the SS rim tape is complete and utter shite

#1 - Lime green and white works very well indeed, although it works better as black/lime

#2 - Couldn't be more right, utter shite and I put mine straight in the bin, would rather they didn't include it