Cross Bike with V's?

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
Is there such a thing, a drop bar bike with V brakes? I I think I'd like one as my next bike to replace the disc cross bike I currently have.

Need drop bars, V-brakes, mudguard clearance, rack fitting...ideally.

Any ponters? Ta muchly in advance.

Comments

• Genesis Day One if you don't mind single-speeding.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Go on then, why would you want Vs to replace discs?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Genesis Day One if you don't mind single-speeding.

I don't know if they've changed them now but the v-brakes I got with my Day One were rubbish. Always needed adjusting and the threads (within the brake unit) ended up stripped on the front and back so I ended up not being able to adjust them. I got rid of the rear brake completely and fitted a long drop caliper at the front - much better.
  • I quite like mine (the yellow, 2011 one), other than the fact that they're a pain to disconnect when you want to get the wheel off as the noodle never wants to come out.
  • davis wrote:

+1 :?: :?: :?:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    swap your brake levers for "dia compe " and bar end shifters and you're there or use mini "V"s with standard drop bar levers, although you do have to run the pads very close to the rims for this to work.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    gbsahne wrote:
    swap your brake levers for "dia compe " and bar end shifters and you're there or use mini "V"s with standard drop bar levers, although you do have to run the pads very close to the rims for this to work.

Really? TRP CX range of mini vs are designed for drop bars.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Asprilla wrote:
    Really? TRP CX range of mini vs are designed for drop bars.

Possibly are but I can't afford those and am running something else (can't remember what they are (posssibly Tektro 926AL) which do need to be close to the rims
  • davis wrote:

I just feel the 'smoothness' isn't there with cable discs. Mine still make a slightly harsh noise when braking, and in the wet they squeal real bad...never have been able to stop that.
  • If you are ever going to race cross on it, don't bother with V's.
    I have XT V brakes on my pompino.
    I am not quite sure of the point of the question, as any fork that has canti mounts will take Cantis, V's and Mini V's
    Its then just a case of matching a set of levers on the bars that will pull the correct amount of cable for the brake caliper to work.

I think your main problem will be sourcing STI levers that pull the correct amount of cable for V's. But you can go singlespeed and get the cane creek ones I use, or use one of the wee cable pull adjusters to take up the difference:
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/problem-solvers-travel-agent-br031-black-each-prod24613/?src=froogle

A good set of properly set up Cantilevers are every bit as good anyway and they use the same standard cable pull as caliper road brakes.
  • as the noodle never wants to come out.

That's what she said...
  • I run (drop) Tiagra shifters on my cross bike with Tektro mini V's, there's no problems with it at all, wheels are true, there's not much clearence between pads and rim (about 3-4mm each side), but other than in thick muddy conditions, there is never rub...

The braking performance is brilliant, far better than the Ultegra's on my road bike.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    edited September 2012
    I converted my Sirrus Elite which has v brakes to a drop handle bars - needed to change v brakes to V-minis though (only cost about £20 from eBay). Got to say the brakes are very very strong (maybe too strong). Better than My Sram Red and Force brakes.
  • Why not just get some better disc brakes? hydraulic will be coming soon but in the interim Avid BB7s are the best around.