SPD SL - How long should the cleats last?

Will Nunez
Will Nunez Posts: 203
edited September 2012 in Road general
Ive now worn out 2 sets (yellow) in 6 months. The bit that wears out is the ridge at the back. I wear cleat protectors when off the bike. My previous SPDs lasted 2 years.

Cleat sget used 6 days a week, avg 250 miles a week, 75% commute (with avg 10-15 junctions per day that require uncleating)

Am i doing something wrong or are these things simply made out of peanut butter?
Current Stock:
Carrera Vanquish '08
Orbea Onix T105 '11
Carrera Fury '07

Comments

• Do you only put your foot down when come to a standstill or you drag your foot just befor and do you use the uncleated foot to push off, doing one or both will increase the wear rate.
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • Im a last minute wobbler only uncleat and put down if I have stopped. After the first lot wore out in 3 months, ive paid attention to the frequency of cleats. 3 months seems like a really short time span. Ive noticed I uncleat 2-3 times on a weekend leisure ride and at least triple that on commutes in the week. Ive noticed right wears out first, but then I always place my right when I stop, but left isnt far behind. Just wondering if its fitment, wondering if red SPD SL Cleats are any better. Or if im better of ditching shimano for another company
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • How much do you walk before and after your ride? I generally replace mine once a year
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    I use look cleats and although they're not used as much as yours seem to be (75-100 miles a week non-commuting for me) I've had them 3 months and I don't expect to replace them for at least another 3. (6months wear for £12 cleats seems fair to me..)
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I used to commute on SPD-SL - I too thought they'd worn out too quickly (about a year for me). I suppose longevity is down to a number of things, principally how many times you unclip. My LH cleat was ceratinly worn long before the RH one.

Anyway, lesson learned, I commute on standard SPD now.
  • On Commute I walk 20 yds to and from office at home < 5 yards. Anything longer and the cleat covers come out. But the yellow tab wear indicators tell you when walking wil be a problem, so walking shouldnt affect the cleat lip unless you are unlucky enough to step on something sharp, yellow tabs still there not worn through. Right doesnt clip left takes a hefty step to clip. Once a year? Im defo doing something wrong.

SPDs are made of metal these SLs plastic so i dont expect 2 years from them But £50-£60pa on cleats, £75pa on chains, £70 on cassettes, £50 on front chain rings, £30pa on brake blocks....its all adding up!!
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    Will Nunez wrote:
    But £50-£60pa on cleats, £75pa on chains, £70 on cassettes, £50 on front chain rings, £30pa on brake blocks....its all adding up!!

You've only just noticed it all adds up? :wink::lol:
  • Your probably just heavy on them. Have you adjusted the resistence on your pedals at all? I dont like the red ones. I prefer the yellow because they have a float.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • My feet move around a bit inside heels on both shoes warn, no paint left on pedals where they rub. Am thinking if I eliminate float, that maybe the rear part will move less and last longer. It may also stop my heels rubbing and force my feet to behave.
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • I've found that on mine I've started to lose the yellow rubbery bits from the cleats, but all the black hard plastic part (that actually engages) all seems fine. I don't walk on them very much, maybe my feet hit the floor at a funny angle because it's the outside one I've lost from both feet.

This is only my first set of cleats though I've had them quite a while now.
  • FYI

I've had my Yellow SL cleats for about a 18 months, but I think they now need replacing.
    I don't commute and they have probably covered about 2.5k miles. I haven't used any cleat protectors, but there again don't have any walking to do like if you commute.
    Simon
  • Your wear is the same as mine then, 2.5K miles
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • Mine last a couple of years, hence around 10-12 K miles... it's walking, not cycling... if you ride a fixed gear and track stand instead of unclipping, they will last indefinitely.
    The one you put on the pavement will wear much quicker, hence you can swap them from time to time, if you really want to save the penny
    left the forum March 2023
  • My spd-sl cleats lasted about six hours, about the same time it took me to walk up the hills on the Bradley Wiggins sportive last month :oops:
  • :D That makes me feel better. £15 a day on cleats would break the bank
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • mark8191
    mark8191 Posts: 72
    I recently converted from MTB clipless to SPD SL on my road bike and have worn the yellow bits out in 2 months. I walk from my back door to garden gate and put my foot down at traffic lights, really surprised how fast they wore out.
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 444

My feet move around a bit inside heels on both shoes warn, no paint left on pedals where they rub. Am thinking if I eliminate float, that maybe the rear part will move less and last longer. It may also stop my heels rubbing and force my feet to behave.

Hey Will,
    I went over to the blue ones from yellow. They are a good compromise (at 2 degrees of float) between the yellow at 6 degrees of float and red zero degrees. Like you my feet moved too much with the yellow. I’ve known a couple of friends have some knee issues when completely rigid with red.
    The wear is a difficult one. I’m pretty pleased with the wear I get from them, in line with what others say above.
    Maybe The spd mtb cleats for commute may work as mine have lasted for years? I know more expenditure on another pair of shoes! Decathlon do some decent shoes at a good price for commute with the mtb cleats.
    BW
    and cycling is always totally cheap is it!
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    Back in non-covid times when going to the office mine would last ~12-18 months of ~1,000 miles per month. The commute included a walk across a carpark twice a day but other than that very limited walking, but lots of unclipping as it was commuting through town.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    I wonder how many pairs the OP has got through since his original post
  • molteni_man
    molteni_man Posts: 444
    thistle_ said:

I wonder how many pairs the OP has got through since his original post

Good spot Thistle! I didn’t spot the date of the original post!