What size wheel is on this bike?!?!?!

062830778 Posts: 58
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,
I am doing up a bike for somebody and i cannot seem to find the right wheel size. i got a 26" for it only to discover that it was too small. however it dosent look like it is a 29" wheel so are there any sizes in between? Its a really ancient raleigh.
Cheers, J.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    quite a few.

what bike? what does it/did it say on the tyre?

see the tyre wheel info on sheldon Browns pages.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • on the tyre it says:
    26 x 1 3/3, 650 x 35A.
    it dosent say anything on the wheel.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    650 or 27" I would think. Old Raleigh, pre mid 80's.
    Maybe.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    How really ancient? Raleigh's first MTB that was called a mountain bike was the Maverick, in the late 1980s, and that had 26" wheels: I would expect them to be compatible with most current 26" hardware. Any MTB they've made since should be the same.
    Prior to that (really really ancient) was a US-style cruiser called the Bomber - this would have had a wheel size called 26" that is bigger than both MTB 26" and 650B. The tyres may be saying 26x1 3/8". If this is the case, you'll have a bit of a job finding MTB tyres for it. Alternatively, what you have may not be an MTB as such, but someone's off-road hack bike that has slowly evolved from an ancient Raleigh roadster - there used to be plenty of them about. To help us out here . . .
    • What does it say on the frame - is there a model name?
    • Can we have a couple more details of what else is on the bike - type of brakes, gears etc.?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I guess you mean 26 x 1 3/8. The modern measurement is 590mm, or sometimes known as 650A. 35 is the tyre width in mm.

So: 590x35. Common 3 speed size in UK a while ago. You can fit wider or narrower on your rims, if you have clearance.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000NOTPP4/r ... B000NOTPP4