Sram upgrade

DannyUK
DannyUK Posts: 106
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

I am looking to upgrade my Sram gearing.. I am looking to put an x9 rear mech on my Boardman Team FS 2012. Where I have come stuck is on the listings they state "long cage" and "medium cage". I apologise about my poor knowledge, but I have no understanding at all what this is?

Any guidance would be appreciated..
All the gear, loads of fear...

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is covered in the faqs.

it depends on what your gear set up is.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • What's wrong with what you've got? Better places to spend some money if it works
  • DannyUK
    Thanks for your replies..

I have tried to search the FAQ.. I am sure the info is there, and I will have another look now..

The set up is 2 x 10, FSA Comet 42/27T.

The main reason I plan to upgrade is I am happy with my other upgrades and now feel this is an area I would like to be smoother..

Thanks again..
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You need to check the range of the mech - (big chainring minus smallest chainring) plus (big cog minus smallest cog) = range.
    Short cage will have a lesser range. The ad for the mech should state the range or look on Sram's website.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But as mentioned, I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between mechs without looking.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    DannyUK wrote:
    Thanks for your replies..

I have tried to search the FAQ.. I am sure the info is there, and I will have another look now..

The set up is 2 x 10, FSA Comet 42/27T.

The main reason I plan to upgrade is I am happy with my other upgrades and now feel this is an area I would like to be smoother..

Thanks again..
    viewtopic.php?f=40073&t=12546123
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The only real difference between X7 and X9 is about 50g in weight......cheaper ways to loose 50g!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DannyUK
    I'm really not worried about weight at all if I am honest... rather just lose some body fat :wink:

What I am looking for is a smoother gear change, I am more than happy to pay for that...
  • The Rookie
    But the rear mech will make little difference, the smoothness is almost impossible to change as the rear changes on one tooth (effectively) from one ratio to the next, only way to make it smoother is get a closer ratio cassette but then you loose range!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • DannyUK
    Ahhh I see.. this is all helping me understand a lot more.

Maybe worth sticking with the SRAM X7's for now then...

Might be worth using the money (and more) to upgrade the rear shock..
  • I went from an old 9sp Deore LX with a 11-34t cassette to a 10sp XT with a 11-32t cassette and shifting is way smoother especially across the middle sprockets but I presume this is down to the closer ratios there.

Although I think the XT does give a better shift than the old Deore kit did but I reckon that's down to the shifter rather than the mech
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    A different mech may make the shifts happen faster, but if you think about the mechanics of it, there is no slippage or anything so the shift sharpness is almost completely down to the percentage ratio change and whether the rider is putting torque through the cranks at the time or not, although a full susser will add a buffer layer.