Tyre sizes....

Paule37
Paule37 Posts: 16
edited September 2012 in MTB general
Hi...I just wondered if its cool to put a 1.8 tyre on the front with a 2.1 on the back.

Thanks!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, if you wanted (and they fit the rims, and the clearance was ok).

But most people put the larger tyre on the front to aid traction there.
  • Thanks Supersonic.I should have been more specific!I have a Maxxis Medusa 2.1 on the rear...went down to the LBS today to get a mud specific tyre for the the front.The best option was the Bonty 1.8 XR Mud...the tyre actually feels alot more grippy.Now,do i swap them round..Medusa on the front,Bonty on the back or vice versa?!!I'm doing a Duathalon on Sunday...the ride includes a little tarmac,stoney/chalky tracks,grass,with 2 loose over hard descents....and a large portion of muddy wet track before the last descent....therein lies my dilemma!!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not sure, going to have to compromise, or get something more 'all round'!
  • personally, if I was riding in slop.. id have the mud tyre on the front,,, as i'd rather drift then wash out...

but for non sloppy i'd go bigger on the front...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Rushmore wrote:
    personally, if I was riding in slop.. id have the mud tyre on the front,,, as i'd rather drift then wash out...

but for non sloppy i'd go bigger on the front...

Agreed, It's easier to handle a rear end slide than front. Tyre placement when your out and about makes a big difference. Look where your going.
    But in most cases more grip on the front than the rear.