David Millar documentary on Spanish tv

Richmond Racer
Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
edited September 2012 in Pro race
http://inrng.com/

his own experience, Big Mig, Lance, UCI, Vaughters in the most extraordinary get-up, sweariness from both Millar siblings...

Comments

• Great human story, really interesting, thankyou for posting!
  • Thx for posting, great little watch. JV's outfit was immense, shame about him speaking Spanish first time he appeared :(

The trouble I have with DM is, I really like him but I can't get my head around his uber-support/love of Dirty Bertie. Has anyone seen DM and FF in the same room, ever??!!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    JV's outfit was immense
    He reminded me of Vic Reeves.

I'm always amused that Michael Robinson is a TV star in Spain. I remember him playing for Brighton.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    JV's outfit was immense
    He reminded me of Vic Reeves.

I'm always amused that Michael Robinson is a TV star in Spain. I remember him playing for Brighton.
    I knew I'd seen JV somewhere before. Thx for solving that mystery.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Really enjoyed watching that. I'm a fan of Millar. I like how he is now open with the past. But also aware he is only open as he was banged to rights. Certainly shows he is a great cyclist and very smart guy.

The one thing I always find about him is hat he is being honest. But never get the impression he is being totally honest with how he was and how others are around 'those dark times'. I don't think its not so much about him wanting to hide. But wary that law suis and legal and ruin him if the right angle got to him.

It's say that I have so much hope over the fall out from the lance etc stories are told. Things need to full open up. I hope it does but I dont think it will. People need to step forward under their own accord. This isn't happening. Not for David not for the guys at Garmin or the Puerto guys. The anti drug agencies can keep hounding them till they leave the sport. But it won't make a difference till many guys of those days step forward and speak up without threat to allow things to move on.

Ironic that a pain of speaking out is like an injetion. It'll hurt for abit and after you'll feel better for it.
  • For such a supposed intellect or whatever, the opening scene with him typing shows a very poorly structured paragraph with the sentences not conforming to a single margin.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    rebs wrote:
    It's say that I have so much hope over the fall out from the lance etc stories are told. Things need to full open up. I hope it does but I dont think it will. People need to step forward under their own accord. This isn't happening. Not for David not for the guys at Garmin or the Puerto guys. The anti drug agencies can keep hounding them till they leave the sport. But it won't make a difference till many guys of those days step forward and speak up without threat to allow things to move on.
    Tomorrow, when you go to work gather everyone together. Bring all of your family and all of your friends as well. Then tell them all your secrets - we all have them - and all the secrets you have about everyone sitting there.

Until you can do that yourself, don't demand others do it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    Was in Biarritz a few weeks ago and sat on the same steps overlooking the surfing beach. Each night we were out to eat we wondered if this was the restaurant where the arrest happened.
    Anyway, I've always been a fan of DM and not just admire, but am actually amazed, not just that he has been able to open up so elequently to his past misdemeanours, but how he actually managed to get himself physically and mentally back to his level as a rider after all his time in the gutter. His difficulty in understanding himself how he got back to here just seems to emphasise his apparent fragility and insecurity as a person. I also can't help wondering if we have a future UCI President here ? Don't know what it says about me but I did also like his white hat !!!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,530
    I'm a Millar fan, but I don't think he's particularly balanced and level headed enough for any presidential role.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    RichN95 wrote:
    Tomorrow, when you go to work gather everyone together. Bring all of your family and all of your friends as well. Then tell them all your secrets - we all have them - and all the secrets you have about everyone sitting there.

No need to be dramatic. I know its not going to happen. Dont ruin my idealistic world! :P

Alot fo guys got sucked into a world they preceived to be wrong and the norm. Only now more movement is going on to open this up and have it recognised. If riders really want to be in a clean fair sport they have to make the hard decisions.

I'm not talking about peoples life secrets I'm talking about riders capacity in being professional and wanting a clean sport. If they don't want a clean sport then fine. Hopefully if the doping continues no-one will be around to want to watch them and such is the death of a big sport.

Do you want to go tell WADA and other anti coping agencies to not go poking around peoples secrets also?
  • RichN95 wrote:
    rebs wrote:

Wot he said. I always wonder what it is people want him to do? Be a supergrass and nail everyone he ever knew to dope/be involved in doping? Who would do that in their own situation? You can call it 'omerta' like it's some secret society rule but it's not really. It's just not being a grass. Like every schoolboy learns in the playground.

I think he's done as much as he could and more. He's detailed his own story. He's been outspoken. He's co-owner (director or something) or a team with an anti doping policy. He's set an example to others and he's representing in the boardrooms of WADA etc.

Someone mentioned his support of Berie earlier. I find it a bit odd as well but I guess he thinks that Bertie is a very special rider and he believes him to be clean. Fair enough.
  • ..Course if the USADA come calling and he has to talk under oath then course he'll sing like a canary but thats a different scenario innit.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,229

Someone mentioned his support of Berie earlier. I find it a bit odd as well but I guess he thinks that Bertie is a very special rider and he believes him to be clean. Fair enough.

Millar was historically a fan of Armstrong, too. I seem to remember an article in one of the monthly UK mags where Millar (who'd just taken delivery of his new super-charged Jaguar) talked about calling LA on or around Christmas day and the Yank was mid 3 hour training ride... Millar was awed and said that it was that level of dedication that was needed in order to succeed... and it was that that separated Armstrong from everyone else.
    The irony is that DM was yet to be busted at that point; and we're all starting to get a detailed picture of what Armstrong was up to...

I think Millar is a cycling fan - (like the rest of us?) he just wanted some heroes he could look up to... riders who danced above the mundane. But now that Pantani, Heras and Armstrong, etc have gone, he wants heroes he can believe in (like the rest of us?).

That's why Contador's got to do more than just win bike races from now on... The game's over: I want to feel in my gut that he's clean.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Refreshing to hear him speak so open about his and cycling's past. What i dont get is the story's from years back that Sky could not hire him cos of his doping past and that was brailsford's stance, So why do Sky have yates (ex doper) if wikipedia is to believed and now we have brailsford getting arsey because journalists are asking questions why he hired the dodgy Dr Geert Leinders (when's the internal inquest going to give us answers then dave) A bit double standards me thinks.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'm a Millar fan, but I don't think he's particularly balanced and level headed enough for any presidential role.

Quite. And his reaction when Flandis wrote his letter should set off alarm bells.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Refreshing to hear him speak so open about his and cycling's past. What i dont get is the story's from years back that Sky could not hire him cos of his doping past and that was brailsford's stance, So why do Sky have yates (ex doper) if wikipedia is to believed and now we have brailsford getting arsey because journalists are asking questions why he hired the dodgy Dr Geert Leinders (when's the internal inquest going to give us answers then dave) A bit double standards me thinks.
    Every UK article about Millar refers to him as "ex-doper David Millar", therefore associating sky with that past.

Leinders & Yates past isn't as well known and they aren't riders so aren't reported on either.

Unfair, bit that's life
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Interesting comments from him.....would any of us have done it any different??
  • Dave_1 wrote:
    Interesting comments from him.....would any of us have done it any different??

Yes. I've have skipped the cycling and gone straight to the booze and drugs.

Err... Oh.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format