Bell Ukon Helmet

iluvstaffies
iluvstaffies Posts: 34
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
I bought the above helmet from CRC a few weeks ago as it was cheap and had excellent reviews. It's the first helmet I have ever owned as I haven't been on a bike for a long time and helmets weren't around as much back in those days.

Now the helmet feels fine and I have worn it a lot but am just not sure if it's adequate enough, not that I am doing black routes or anything, am still very much a beginner, but I have been looking at other helmets and am wondering if maybe I should upgrade?

Also I'm not keen on how it looks! lol (yeah, I know, typical female :roll: ) My husband says I look like I am going horseriding :lol: It always makes me laugh that everyone else I see on a bike wearing a helmet just looks normal but I look a complete idiot, but I know it's not about how a helmet looks of course, as long as it does the job.

But anyway, should I upgrade? Or stick with the Bell? :)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends what sort of helmet you want - you get roughly four types: the xc type (like you have), 'All mountain' types that have deeper rear sections for extra coverage, full facers and skate style 'piss pots'. Sounds like the one you have is perfectly adequate.
  • If it fits and does the job why worry,but like you I have the same helmet and would prefer not to wear at all but needs must....
  • I was looking at the Fox Flux and the 661 Recon Stealth. Maybe I would just be wasting my money at the moment and should stick with the Bell?
  • supersonic
    Stick with the Bell. It fits, it works, and is pretty deep at the back anyway.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    When it comes to helmets I'm a big advocate of getting one you fancy, if you don't like the look of it (especially as a beginner) you're less likely to wear it, I just bought a giro feature from merlin, it's mint.
    If you want one get one, a good helmet is a must, so change it as often as you want too, and don't let anything other than dollar put you off.

But yeah you are being a girl and there's nothing wrong with the one you've got :)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm on my 4th or 5th Bell Ukon - fits me perfectly, cheap, and saved what's left of my brain a few times. Just don't put the padding in the washing machine......(hand wash only).

When I was young, Bell helmets (motorcycle) were the ultimate. I had a Bell Star in the 70's, like this but painted in stars and stripes (seemed like a good idea at the time - Evel Knievel was my hero)
    BellStarII-1977.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    prawny wrote:
    When it comes to helmets I'm a big advocate of getting one you fancy, if you don't like the look of it (especially as a beginner) you're less likely to wear it, I just bought a giro feature from merlin, it's mint.
    If you want one get one, a good helmet is a must, so change it as often as you want too, and don't let anything other than dollar put you off.

But yeah you are being a girl and there's nothing wrong with the one you've got :)

As long as it fits ;-). I always try them first. Not really such thing as a bad one anymore though.
  • Thanks. Feel better now that I know it's suitable, will stick with the Bell.

Might get a Camelbak Mule instead of a new helmet then..... :wink:

Cooldad, that helmet sounds great! Better than just boring white :D
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    supersonic wrote:
    prawny wrote:

As long as it fits ;-). I always try them first. Not really such thing as a bad one anymore though.

True, although all this talk of helmet fit, personally I've never found one that didn't fit (in my size) they just look varying degrees of shit :lol:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017