7. Pozzovivo
8. Sorensen
9. Nibali
10. Pellizotti

Giro del Piemonte next up

Comments

• Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Contador is the Greatest
  • You have got to love almost all of that top ten. Cant wait to catch the highlights. AG2R must be very happy with Betancur and I am surprised Kess is there. Ulissi showing his Italian 1 day class again.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • That's Contador's first 1 day race win. Report from Cycling news:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/milano ... 12/results
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    A crime this wasn't on tv.
  • Yep, Highlights should be good with that finishing field. Betancur is Acqua & Sapone BTW.
  • One for the scrap book FF
    bettiniphoto_0122939_1_full_600.jpg
  • Small solo attack on the final climb, nice.

Brian Smith reckons JTL would have had him : )

Tks Art.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Yep, Highlights should be good with that finishing field. Betancur is Acqua & Sapone BTW.

Yep, but AG2R next year. Meant they will be happy with him next year.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Love the confetti :)

AlbertoContadorMilanTorino_2834812.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    What's with the shoes? He has the special matching socks, but not the 2013 S-Works shoes.
  • FF - forgot that!
    Graeme_S - they look like the Specialized 2013?
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    That's Contador's first 1 day race win.

How mad is that?
    Probably the best rider of his generation, and all that...
    One for the scrap book FF
    bettiniphoto_0122939_1_full_600.jpg

Come on FF - look at that face: don't pretend you didn't imagine that it wasn't the SRAM shifters he was gripping, but your bare shoulders...
  • Some people on here really have some low sense of humour or thinking....I pity them.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • graeme_s-2
    Graeme_S - they look like the Specialized 2013?

No they don't.

1342003939086-bgfhap33u3zh-670-70.jpg
    At the Vuelta he was wearing the red/white 2013 S-Works shoes, and in that photo he still has the matching socks, but not the shoes.
  • graeme_s-2
    Maybe it's an all-white 2013 S-Works shoe that they haven't released yet.
  • ocdupalais
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Maybe it's an all-white 2013 S-Works shoe that they haven't released yet.

boonen10g.jpg
  • ocdupalais
    Some people on here really have some low sense of humour or thinking....I pity them.

Aw...c'mon, don't be like that.

Besides, don't lump anyone else in - apparently, it's just me.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    Whilst I'm delighted to see the race back on the calendar, the idea of finishing it on top of the Superga climb just seems wrong to me.

Uphill finishes remove most of the elements of racing nous that one day races usually require if you want to win, as it almost always means the strongest wins.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    andyp wrote:
    Whilst I'm delighted to see the race back on the calendar, the idea of finishing it on top of the Superga climb just seems wrong to me.
    Agreed. It was selective enough with the finish down in Torino after the Superga. And Emilia already caters for the uphill-finish enthusiasts.

For the moment it's just good to see it back on the calendar - the oldest pro race still existing as far as I know. Since 1876!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    That's Contador's first 1 day race win. Report from Cycling news:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/milano ... 12/results
    The CyclingNews report is a bit short and vague.

Don’t read further if you’re going to watch the highlights somewhere or want to watch the above link (although it really only deals with the very end)

From about 20 Km out (so just before the penultimate climb), Capecchi was out front, up to 40 sec at times.
    At about 5 km (so before the ultimate climb), first Sorensen, then Ulissi and Rodriquez, and then a group including Contador, Nibali, Taborre, Hesjedal, Kessiakof, Pellizotti and Basso caught Capecchi.
    At 4 km (now on the last climb) Kessiakof went up front, 5 to 10 sec ahead of Ulissi and Rodriquez, with the others 15 sec back.
    With 2 km to go, Ulissi and Rodriquez caught Kessiakof, with Contador and Nibali looking strongest of those farther back.
    At 1.5 km, Nibali faltered, but Contador marched on.
    By the flamme rouge, he was ahead and alone.

Considering Lombardy is at the weekend and the race is only Europe Tour, the field was impressive. As well as the top 10 named above and the additional names I mention, also there were Horner, Moreno, Gadret, Tiralongo, De Weert, Cunego, Sella (who was with the Contador group until he had a defect 5 km out), Zubeldia, Di Luca, Jeannesson, Pozzato, Pinot, Fedrigo, and Casar. At least half-a-dozen other instantly recognisable names also finished (I think only about 90 finished, just over half the starter field).
  • Yeah that is a talent packed field.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Short highlights below. He looks super pleased and happy to fire off attacks at will and draw for el pistelero.

http://www.steephill.tv/players/720/rai ... a5&yr=2012
    Contador is the Greatest
  • “It was an all-out effort. Joaquim (Rodríguez) took a few meters on me, and I had to get to work. I was able to catch him, I took a little breather on his wheel, and then I tried,” explained Alberto, whose subsequent attack in the final kilometer was definitive.

“I’m very, very happy to win, especially to do it in Italy,” he said. “This morning, when I got up, I weighed 2.4 kilos more than at the Vuelta, and I knew that it was 190 kilometers, that yesterday I hadn’t trained and that the day before yesterday I’d only done 40 kilometers, but the question was to get to the finish with strength in my legs.”

Alberto, who after the effort of the World Championships, went back to Pinto on Monday, only to get back on the plane on Tuesday – was a little tired, which is why this victory, to him “has been, in a manner of speaking, an unexpected victory. I dedicate it to all my teammates, and to someone who has been often on my mind during the Worlds, Victor Cabedo. Wherever he is, this victory is for him.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Is Contador riding Lombardy?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Yep, riding to win.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Yep, riding to win.

Interesting. Was going to go for Gilbert for PTP, but Contador may have a chance of getting away from him on the final climb. Problem is there's still 10KM of descent and flat that he'd have to stay away on, and Gilbert's got a lot more experience of this type of racing.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Yeah I'm split both between who I want to win and who I think will win. I think I'm going for Gilbert on both, however given Gilbert has won this twice already and will likely ride it again and Contador never has and may never again, I would be very happy for him to win also. Nibali I would be happy for as well or Sanchez (not sure if he is riding tho).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Contador is the Greatest
  • ocdupalais

Ooof! It's been a while since I've seen Nibali crack like that (@ 10:20).

After his little hissy fit with Wiggins in the Tour, I'd be surprised if he doesn't take Contador's behaviour in Milan-Turin personally: first Bertie puts him to the sword, then, just as Vince manages to claw his way back on the lead group, AC attacks in the big ring.
    :)
    What a git..making sure he's f*cked in the head, as well as the body...