2012 Zesty 214

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Can anyone tell me if it's a maxle or a QR on the forks? i can't seem to find it any where :?

Comments

• "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • welshkev
    i thought as much..the LBS has just reduced them loads and i'm tempted..but i really want a maxle..hmmm
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just to clarify, why do you want a maxle?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • welshkev
    Just to clarify, why do you want a maxle?

because i've got quick release on my sektors and 20mm maxle on my pikes, i'm not sure if it's psycological or not, but the pikes feel more sure footed (for want of a better way to explain it)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    OK, but different forks behave differently, SS has given the example where the stiffest fork tested was QR so clearly didn't really need a Maxle/through axle....The Pikes are a stiffer fork from reviews, but is it the 20mm maxle or the rest of the fork......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • its QR front and back.
    Zesty 214
  • No maxle isn't the end of the world, i run 150 revs with QR and straight steerer and the flex has never bothered me (infact not even sure i've noticed it - flex seems to be one of those things that if nobody ever mentioned it or told you QR was stiffer, you'd never know any better).
  • welshkev
    No maxle isn't the end of the world, i run 150 revs with QR and straight steerer and the flex has never bothered me (infact not even sure i've noticed it - flex seems to be one of those things that if nobody ever mentioned it or told you QR was stiffer, you'd never know any better).

that's the thing, i run 150mm sektors and 'think' i can tell the difference. but like i said, it may be psycological :lol:
  • It wouldn't (and wasn't) something i'd be put off buying a bike by.
  • How much are these Zesty's anyway? Have a mate that might be interested
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • welshkev
    How much are these Zesty's anyway? Have a mate that might be interested

on sale for £1200 + i get bike club discount
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    welshkev wrote:
    How much are these Zesty's anyway? Have a mate that might be interested

on sale for £1200 + i get bike club discount

B****r - that's quite a lot of bike for the money!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Pikes are a lot different to Sektors in other areas - they have reinforced steerers, uppers and crown too.
  • welshkev
    supersonic wrote:
    Pikes are a lot different to Sektors in other areas - they have reinforced steerers, uppers and crown too.

So I'd probably notice a difference even of it had a Maxle is what your saying?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just saying that a maxle is only one area where a fork can be stiff, so you are probably noticing other things on the pike too, especially fore/aft stiffness (which maxles do nothing for at all).
  • welshkev
    supersonic wrote:
    Just saying that a maxle is only one area where a fork can be stiff, so you are probably noticing other things on the pike too, especially fore/aft stiffness (which maxles do nothing for at all).

Ok cool, so I guess a test ride is the only way to find out. Cheers guys :-)