Rear light on saddlebag

mountainlion
mountainlion Posts: 22
edited October 2012 in Commuting general
I've often seen saddlebags advertise that they can take rear lights on them but I'm unsure how to attach the lights to the strip. Does anyone know how to do this and make it secure.

Also is it safe?

Comments

• I have bolted a rear panier rack mount (Cateye) to my saddle bag and the light fits straight into it. I had to drill the saddle bag but I thought it worth it rather than lose my light. Especially as when the bag is in place it covers the light attached to my seatpost.
  • My rear light came with two mounting brackets -- one that fastens around the seatpost, and one that's just a big clip that the light attaches to, and that clips into the strip on a saddle bag or rucksack. Hasn't failed me yet.
  • esspeebee wrote:
    My rear light came with two mounting brackets -- one that fastens around the seatpost, and one that's just a big clip that the light attaches to, and that clips into the strip on a saddle bag or rucksack. Hasn't failed me yet.

yeah you ideally need a backlight with a 'clip' mount. My cateye doesn't have it so goes on the seat stay (think thats what it's called) and an old cheap halford light clips on to my saddlebag
  • Get a light with a built in clip. How safe it is depends on the design of the clip. I have a Smart ½ watt that attaches to my saddlebag in this way and it’s very secure.

I daresay you could make it rock solid with a cable tie or two (but I've never felt the need to).
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Godders1 wrote:
    I have a Smart ½ watt that attaches to my saddlebag in this way and it’s very secure.

Yes I use something similar attached to my Topeak saddlebag. It's popped out twice now though - 2nd time I didn't notice and ended up discovering all the pieces on my return journey.

I do rate the increased visibility though if you are riding with a saddlebag.
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    I've got a halfords bikehut rear light. It's got a clip on it. I put a bit of red insulation tape round the bottom just to make sure it doesn't jump off :)
  • craker wrote:
    Godders1 wrote:
    I have a Smart ½ watt that attaches to my saddlebag in this way and it’s very secure.

Yes I use something similar attached to my Topeak saddlebag. It's popped out twice now though - 2nd time I didn't notice and ended up discovering all the pieces on my return journey.

Come to think of it the light strap on my Carradice bag is quite a chunky strip of cotton duck. Perhaps extra measures would be sensible if the strap is thinner material.
  • My blackburn flea light on a topeak micro works a treat. Very secure clip on the blackburn.
  • Thanks everyone.

I've got a cateye which I presume is similar to cookeeemonster and night_porter's. It is square at the back to go in either vertically or horizontally. It looks like I might struggle from all your comments.

night_porter would you be able to tell me which parts you used in your setup?
  • Tried it, it fell off on a fast descent. Twice.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    Tried it, it fell off on a fast descent. Twice.

me too. anyway saddle bags are against the rules.(#29)
  • wyadvd wrote:
    Tried it, it fell off on a fast descent. Twice.

me too. anyway saddle bags are against the rules.(#29)
    Which rules? Highway Code 29 is about Pelican Corssings I think.
  • FCN = 9 (Tourer) 8 (Mountain Bike)
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    craker wrote:
    Godders1 wrote:

Ditto, except one fell off & was lost; the other broke the clip & was collected from the gutter (replaced under warranty). Now use the supplied bracket and no issues.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Trouble with attaching a light to something that isn't a rigid part of the bike is that you don't know & can't control where it is pointing.

Lights, even rear lights, are fairly directional, so to be effective, the need to be pointing backwards, horizontally, +/- a few degrees.

So if you are attaching a light to clothing, a backpack, a pannier, a saddlebag, you are doing it to make yourself feel safer, not to be seen better.

Sorry. that's how it is. Just having a light that's switched on doesn't make a difference to anyone except you, unless it's pointing in a sensible direction.

Try the seat-stays, or the back of a rack.