Rockshox Reba Race Service

DTCMAN
DTCMAN Posts: 80
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Help please

I have started to strip down my forks for their first service and I’m a little confused over the fluids/lubricants.
The lower stansions had a small amount of fork oil in as expected (5ml) and the upper damper side had about the right amont (125ml). However, the service manual sugests the air spring side should only be greased but there was a fair amount of thick oil in there (enough to pour a bit out). Am I missing something somewhere? I’ve got 5wt and 15wt oil and fork grease, do I need something else?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So have you got the correct manual?
    what year are the forks? or what year bike did they come on? or if cheap OE have a look for a casting mark.

Not all Rebas on bikes have Reba internals.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    I think you put 5ml in the top above the air spring (under the cap with the valve). This might have worked its way past the seal over time, but I wouldn't expect a huge quantity.

If the internals match the pictures in the service manual then I would just reassemble as per the instructions.

I've got Reba RLs and just needed 5wt oil, 15wt oil and grease for the service.
  • They are on a Merlin Rock Lobster. Just checked and it was bought at the end of 2008, I hadn't realised it was that long ago! I couldn't see any particular marks on them when I looked, Just the badging that says Reba Race.
  • Thistle

5ml in there certainly seems more like what I found. Maybe I'm not looking at an old enough service manual, I hadn't realised how old they actually were! Time flys when you get to my age!
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    edited September 2012
    have you looked on the SRAM website for the right manual ?

sure it was oil and not dirty water mixed with grease ?

certainly the newer model single air dont take oil in the air chamber, but i think some of the dual air forks might (not 100% on that though)
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    this isnt the Reba manual per se, but seems Thistle was right about dual air forks needing oil in the spring chamber

http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/Ev3qR ... y08_e1.pdf
  • DCR00

thanks for that. it seems my fork is older than I first thought and that 08 manual seems to be what I have. Everything inside the fork is pristine so I almost wish I'd left well alone! Certainly explains the oil in the air chamber.