2013 Zee or Saint??

aaronmroach
aaronmroach Posts: 341
edited November 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking at upgrading my 2010 remedy with a more gravity orientated groupset to match my riding and balance the frame with it's new fox 34 forks and cane creek DB Air rear shock.

Has anyone any experience with the new Zee groupsets?? I underatand it is a budget version of saint with a few less whistles and bells like no hollowtech crank arms??

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I'm looking at upgrading my 2010 remedy with a more gravity orientated groupset to match my riding and balance the frame with it's new fox 34 forks and cane creek DB Air rear shock.

Has anyone any experience with the new Zee groupsets?? I underatand it is a budget version of saint with a few less whistles and bells like no hollowtech crank arms??

If you can afford saint, then go for it, there is quite a difference in the cranks, not so much in brakes I don't think. Overall if you can afford the saint stuff, then its the stuff to buy. Personally given the choice I would run xtr cranks, brakes and shifter with a saint mech, would be a tough group and you could run bits and bobs of saint if you felt the need to go beefier in places
  • personally I think it would be overkill.

As lawman said, XTR would suit better. Not sure I'd even run a saint mech, just something shadow.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    personally I think it would be overkill.

As lawman said, XTR would suit better. Not sure I'd even run a saint mech, just something shadow.

modded short cage xtr mech would be perfect!!!
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    I'll be fitting my Zee brakes this weekend so will feedback!

Was looking at upgrading my X9 mech to a Type 2 as it's gone a bit baggy, and as the shifter is a bit tired as well, upgrading that too. Having had a good look at the Zee stuff in my LBS, I am going to go for that as the alternative. The Zee mech is actually a fraction lighter than the X9 Type 2 and tucks under the stay a bit more.

Looks great value and as has been said, only the cranks really have a great difference.

:D
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Zee rear mech is lighter, but less 'beefy', than Saint, and lighter than the non-Shadow+, med.-cage XT mech it replaced on my bike. Elsewhere I'd go XT or XTR, apart from brakes, which would be Formula.
  • Thanks for the help.

After a read on here and a scooch round at my LBS and online at CRC I'm going to stump for the Saint Brakes, Saint rear mech, stick with my XT cranks with a 10 speed 36T ring, superstar plasma chain device and knock up my own Carbon fibre bash guard at work; and last but not least an XTR 10 Speed shifter.

Thanks for all the help.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would go with SLX cranks which are much lighter than Saint but nearly as strong and stronger (and better looking) than XT cranks.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If your going to swap get the double and bash cranks with the tougher axle.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.