mudguards. which set

pinarellokid
pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
edited September 2012 in Road general
i ride a Ribble new sportive, and found out to my horror that actually i do need to get some mudguards if im going to ride through the winter

speaking to Ribble these fit my bike ok

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cru ... t-ec024071

has anyone else got any recommendations, or any feedback on these crud mudguards.
looking at the installation video on their website they seem a little fiddly and cheap,
but i keep reading that hey are very good..

only £24 but dont want to throw it away.
Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211

Comments

• I'm on my second set as the front one on the original set broke when a large twig got caught in it. they are easy to fit as i put mine back on in 10 mins last Sat night when I decided to go out on Sunday at late notice, and they dont rattle either
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    crud 2s excellent mudguards,i fitted them to my winter bike last year.
    Took about 30 mins to fit each mudguard.
    Been on the bike last winter and with no problems.
    They do what they say on the tin... :D
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Crud Mk2 are great, got mine from highonbikes for a little less. Great shop.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CRUD-RoadRace ... 0285160864
  • They are OK on normal road tyres (23 or 25mm). If you've put on a set of 28's for the winter they'll rub and drive you nuts.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    They are OK on normal road tyres (23 or 25mm). If you've put on a set of 28's for the winter they'll rub and drive you nuts.

That's because they're not designed for 28mm tyres!
    More problems but still living....
  • I'm apparently in a minority but I think Cruds are rubbish, I binned them and replaced them with SKS race blade longs. I also seem to be in minority in liking them and thinking they're far superior to the Cruds. However I am posting this to say that the Sks fit the new sportive but only with 23 mm tyres. In fact the clearance is a little close with 25 mm tyres at the rear with no mudguards fitted. But with 23s the SKS are fine with a ribble sportive. The problem I was always getting with cruds was that there would be a buildup of mud under the guard, under the brakes and it would rub and rub until I took the wheel off to remove the excess.
  • thanks for the info guys..

gone with the general trend for crud 2's now.

if i dont get on with them its only £20 wasted so will definately try the
    sks race blades

cheers
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • thanks for the info guys..

gone with the general trend for crud 2's now.

if i dont get on with them its only £20 wasted so will definitely try the
    sks race blades

cheers

Only 20 pounds wasted? 20 whole english pounds?

You sir must be very flush. :)
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • gaspode
    gaspode Posts: 110
    When the weather gets crappier, I put SKS Bluemels on my Paddy Wagon - take a bit more faffing about to fit than the cruds, but also a lot more substantial without spoiling the aesthetics of the bike. I do have a set of cruds (the mark 1 version) on my winter bike, but that's more to do with the clearances of the frame and the lack of mudguard eyes....
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Was having a chat with my friendlyLBS owner today and he has stopped stocking cruds because he thinks they are difficult to fit, flimsy and in his words a waste of money. He has some different ones which seem to fit from the brake housings. Can't remember their name but they were a tenner each. He said that after a couple of weeks I would be ripping them off and chucking them in the bin...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Was having a chat with my friendlyLBS owner today and he has stopped stocking cruds because he thinks they are difficult to fit, flimsy and in his words a waste of money. He has some different ones which seem to fit from the brake housings. Can't remember their name but they were a tenner each. He said that after a couple of weeks I would be ripping them off and chucking them in the bin...

Some people do rip them off. Either it is because they are hopelessly impatient and prone to tantrums or it is because the clearances on their bike are very tight. First time I fitted mine it took me an afternoon to get them right. Now I can put them on and get them right straight away - it's just down do knowing the tricks. I suspect if you are fitting them to a bike on 23s which has clearance to fit 25s under Cruds then it will take five minutes first time round.

As for your LBS owner - either he knows something about your personality (!) or his customers are all inherently clumsy or he is trying to flog you something else. I don't even bother removing my Cruds now - they've probably been on the bike for at least 5000 miles and I haven't yet chucked them in the bin! They were looking a bit dull and scratchy to be fair but some car plastic finisher product has brought them all up so they look sparkly and new.
    Faster than a tent.......