Canyon Yellowstone 5.0, Voodoo Hoodoo or Rockrider 8.1? HELP

salvyboy92
salvyboy92 Posts: 8
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys new to this forum having a bit of a mare deciding on which bike to buy! Started off looking at specialized. cannondale etc but slowly started to realise i can get far better spec on the less well known manufacturers! Kinda narrowed it down to these three and any input into which one to plump for would be greatly appreciated:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2012-id_8168918.html - Rockrider

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499 - Voodoo Hoodoo

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes ... tml?b=2537 - Yellowstone 5.0

Thanks Guys!!

Comments

• I've got the Canyon its a really good bike, after 2 months of searching and coming from a Cube Attention, I went for it for the same reasons as you, much better spec than anything else in the price range brand new, wasnt keen on the look or feel of the Rockrider or the VooDoo for that matter although it is rated highly. Canyons customer service is excellent, delivery was 6-8 working days from time of order, had a few issues with the bike, brakes needed bleeding and rear had slight buckle and they covered the cost for a LBS to do the works. Hope this helps.
  • If you are happy with a mail order bike then the Radon team is hard to beat for the money. I got mine about two weeks ago and it is a cracking bit of kit, only issue is the brakes come in the euro set up (wrong way round). Will be swapping the brake hoses over myself on the weekend as using left hand to control front brake would take some getting used to.

Very simillar spec to the Canyon but with a better fork http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1830/a58198/zr-team-6-0.html?lg=en&country=226&cr=GBP# . Also keep an eye out on their daily deals as it sometime shows up for £50 less. Took 6 days for bike to be delivered.
  • LJ.
    LJ. Posts: 149
    I would get the Voodoo, because you can try it out and it is about £160 or so cheaper than the Canyon after postage. If they were the same price then maybe not. but there is not that much difference and that radon bike above is good too, it has a Reba fork. I don't like the look of the Rockrider at all. The Canyon does look pretty nice though
  • Yeah i was impressed with the spec on the rockrider but i agree it just didn't look the part! has the look of a cheap bike, went down to the local store today to see (hoping) if it looked any better in person but not really! I really like the canyon but im just worried about the mail order side of things if there are problems etc but if they cover the cost for an LBS to tweek it that sounds good! Gonna have a look at that radon sight see what its all about! Cheers the responses guys, i'll let you know what i go for!
  • Oh Marone wrote:
    If you are happy with a mail order bike then the Radon team is hard to beat for the money. I got mine about two weeks ago and it is a cracking bit of kit, only issue is the brakes come in the euro set up (wrong way round). Will be swapping the brake hoses over myself on the weekend as using left hand to control front brake would take some getting used to.

Very simillar spec to the Canyon but with a better fork http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1830/a58198/zr-team-6-0.html?lg=en&country=226&cr=GBP# . Also keep an eye out on their daily deals as it sometime shows up for £50 less. Took 6 days for bike to be delivered.

Quick question about the Radon bike (love the look of it btw) i am about 6 2" with a 34 inside leg, my hybrid is a 21" would you suggest i go for the 20 or the 22 what do you have/what height are you?

cheers.
  • That Radon looks nice! How much is postage etc? My Canyon worked out £610 delivered
  • radon i think was £650ish all in worked out slightly more than the canyon which comes in at £634...so torn ha!
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    salvyboy92 wrote:
    Quick question about the Radon bike (love the look of it btw) i am about 6 2" with a 34 inside leg, my hybrid is a 21" would you suggest i go for the 20 or the 22
    i'd compare the geo between the 2 and what you have now, see which comes closest
    salvyboy92 wrote:
    radon i think was £650ish all in worked out slightly more than the canyon which comes in at £634...so torn ha!
    an extra £20 or so for a reba fork is a bit of a no brainer really, one thing to remember though, apparently the brakes on the radon's come euro style, ie front left, rear right, though i wouldn't let that put you off
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • [/quote]an extra £20 or so for a reba fork is a bit of a no brainer really, one thing to remember though, apparently the brakes on the radon's come euro style, ie front left, rear right, though i wouldn't let that put you off[/quote]

Yeah i know, i would probz just take it down to my LBS get them to do it, dont wanna ruin the bike before i get started! or would it not be that tricky to do??
  • Im 6ft with a 34" ish inside leg and went for the 20", I rang up the shop for advice using one of those "cheap calls to Germany" numbers at 1p a min as I wasn't sure to go with an 18" or 20". When seated I am on tippy toes touching the floor but the reach to the bars is spot on. They are set up for a comfy riding position so you are not stretched out to the bars like the more racy set up on some bikes. The sizing guide comes up as a 20" for your height but close to a 22". If you like a shorter reach to the bars I would go for a 20", but you can give the shop a ring if in doubt they speak good english. The bloke I spoke to was 6ft1 and he had a 20" Radon team.

The pedals it comes with are bargain basement (same with most mtb's) junk and it doesn't come with any tools, the Canyon comes with a shock pump and wrench. Swapped the pedals for some Superstar Nano thru pins and got a shock pump off ebay for £14 (Beto MP-035). Just something to think about when comparing bikes.

I was very tempted by the Canyon but the better fork swayed my decision, and there was only a few £ difference in price at the time. As for the brakes I should just be able to swap over the hoses by the advice I got on the forum but I have just ordered a cheap brake bleed kit off ebay (Dr coopers shimano brake bleed kit, £6.64 with postage) incase they need bleeding if I lose any oil in the process.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Oh Marone wrote:
    Im 6ft with a 34" ish inside leg and went for the 20", I rang up the shop for advice using one of those "cheap calls to Germany" numbers at 1p a min as I wasn't sure to go with an 18" or 20". When seated I am on tippy toes touching the floor but the reach to the bars is spot on.
    sounds as if either your seat isn't high enough or you have size 18 feet :)
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • I have big erm feet, I wish :D .Only a size 11
    I am still playing about with the seat height as I had it to low to start with, due to a dodgy back and the rubbish weather I havn't had a chance to have a tweak since. Hope for some good weather on the weekend so I can swap the brakes and set up the forks properly, as well as having a bit of a tweak with seat height etc. But more importantly go for a ride and give it a dam good thrashing, far to unfit for that as I really felt it after the last ride. Much easier to pedal my 600cc bike though :lol:
  • I was very tempted by the Canyon but the better fork swayed my decision, and there was only a few £ difference in price at the time. As for the brakes I should just be able to swap over the hoses by the advice I got on the forum but I have just ordered a cheap brake bleed kit off ebay (Dr coopers shimano brake bleed kit, £6.64 with postage) incase they need bleeding if I lose any oil in the process.

As for the breaks, have you had a chance to try them out, if so what are they like? Cant really find them on the net to check reviews etc.
  • Oh Marone wrote:
    Im 6ft with a 34" ish inside leg and went for the 20", I rang up the shop for advice using one of those "cheap calls to Germany" numbers at 1p a min as I wasn't sure to go with an 18" or 20". When seated I am on tippy toes touching the floor but the reach to the bars is spot on. They are set up for a comfy riding position so you are not stretched out to the bars like the more racy set up on some bikes. The sizing guide comes up as a 20" for your height but close to a 22". If you like a shorter reach to the bars I would go for a 20", but you can give the shop a ring if in doubt they speak good english. The bloke I spoke to was 6ft1 and he had a 20" Radon team.
    Oh Marone wrote:

Thanks for the help with the sizing was leaning towards the 20" anyway sounds good with the reach to the bars and i believe they have a lot of 20" available so i can take a bit longer before making my decision :P
  • Still bedding in the brakes but looking good so far, good feel on the levers and the front especially seems to have a reasonable amount of stopping power behind it now. Shimano brakes seem to be well regarded and going by the stopping power at the moment they seem to be very good. Rubbish to start with as you would expect but improved quite a bit by the end of my first ride. Once they have bedded in properly I think they will be superb stoppers, time will tell though.
  • Still bedding in the brakes but looking good so far, good feel on the levers and the front especially seems to have a reasonable amount of stopping power behind it now. Shimano brakes seem to be well regarded and going by the stopping power at the moment they seem to be very good. Rubbish to start with as you would expect but improved quite a bit by the end of my first ride. Once they have bedded in properly I think they will be superb stoppers, time will tell though.

The M505 brakes have been reviewed, or at least in one bike mag said they were superb and good enough for slam dunkers (plenty of power) in a £700-£900 bike test. The AM505 brakes I can't find anything on, apart from they are a newer improved version. Look very simillar to the Deore brakes though.

EDIT: don't know how I managed to double post...