New Roadie - Madone/Domane

Captainlip
Captainlip Posts: 281
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
Hi Guys,

New Roadie here. 26 Years Old and 15years on a mountain bike and looking for a new challenge, the olympics spured some curiosity into me.

My plan is to sell what I have now and im considering a Trek Madone or Domane, Im swaying to a Domane due to the comfort factor and im looking for comfort in my first bike.

Im looking at a project one 6.2 Domane, Ultegra group and Bonty wheels and tubeless conversion. I will use these wheels for the time being through winter and as a trainer until next year when I stick more carbon parts on and reduce the weight and new performance wheelset.

Whats peoples thoughts on the doe-mah-nee and anyone actually test ridden one?

Look forward to riding with some of you soon when the rain stops!
MADONE 5.2

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Personally wouldn't go tubeless in the winter. Rather bring a couple spare tubes as punctures are inevitable.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Grill wrote:
    Personally wouldn't go tubeless in the winter. Rather bring a couple spare tubes as punctures are inevitable.

From running tubeless with MTB isnt Road wheels the same? some sealant inside to prevent these punctures? Since running Tubeless ive yet to puncture my tyres and thats with Non-UST tyres.
    MADONE 5.2
  • Captainlip wrote:
    Hi Guys,

New Roadie here. 26 Years Old and 15years on a mountain bike and looking for a new challenge, the olympics spured some curiosity into me.

My plan is to sell what I have now and im considering a Trek Madone or Domane, Im swaying to a Domane due to the comfort factor and im looking for comfort in my first bike.

Im looking at a project one 6.2 Domane, Ultegra group and Bonty wheels and tubeless conversion. I will use these wheels for the time being through winter and as a trainer until next year when I stick more carbon parts on and reduce the weight and new performance wheelset.

Any reason why you're just looking at Trek's?
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Captainlip wrote:
    Grill wrote:

From running tubeless with MTB isnt Road wheels the same? some sealant inside to prevent these punctures? Since running Tubeless ive yet to puncture my tyres and thats with Non-UST tyres.

I've often thought the same, but the question I've never seen an answer to is whether the sealant would just blow out through the puncture. Road pressures are considerably higher than MTB pressures.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • BlakeysFC wrote:
    Captainlip wrote:
    Hi Guys,

Any reason why you're just looking at Trek's?

I work in a bike store. :wink:
    MADONE 5.2
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I'm very jealous :evil: I've got the Madone 3.5 and it is supremely comfortable, but the Domane new seat linkage thingy looks cool. The Madone 3.5 was a very close 2nd in the Cycling+ Bike of the Year 2012 and was the best for comfort. The Domane should be even more so (although I haven't tested it personally - yet).

If you can get a 2012 Madone 3.5 on a really good deal and you want to save some money you will have a great bike.
    If not, get the Domane and you will have a really great bike.

PS. If the shop you work at happens to have a Domain with Ultegra Di2 that is looking for a good home, I'm happy to PM you my home address.
  • Gizmodo wrote:
    I'm very jealous :evil: I've got the Madone 3.5 and it is supremely comfortable, but the Domane new seat linkage thingy looks cool. The Madone 3.5 was a very close 2nd in the Cycling+ Bike of the Year 2012 and was the best for comfort. The Domane should be even more so (although I haven't tested it personally - yet).

If you can get a 2012 Madone 3.5 on a really good deal and you want to save some money you will have a great bike.
    If not, get the Domane and you will have a really great bike.

PS. If the shop you work at happens to have a Domain with Ultegra Di2 that is looking for a good home, I'm happy to PM you my home address.

Thanks for the info, we have the 2013 madones in no Domanes yet though. had a ride on the trainer on a 3.5 madone and really enjoyed it, with this weather also a trainer seems an early xmas treat to myself.

theres a madone 4.6 Di2 instock no Domanes though.

Ive been busy on project one and a 6.2 frameset with ultegra and bonti gear comes in at £3800, next year I will upgrade certain parts for better weight and performance.

Im in love with the black/red/white domane 2013 frame.
    MADONE 5.2
  • Tubeless is the way to go. I run DT SWiss rims with hutchinson tubeless tyres and hutchinson sealant. No problems at all. I run softer than with tubes and have had no punctures yet. I carry a couple of patches and inner tubes with me just like I would with a tubed tyre. Even if it only stops me getting snake bite puncture it is worth it.
    Chris
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Fair play. It's comfort factor for me plus I run at 120psi.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • If you're looking for 'comfort' (based on my perception of popular definition; higher rider position, more forgiving ride, etc), I really wouldn't bother spending lots of money on making it lighter; it makes precious little difference as it is...

But buying new wheels does make sense. I too don't see that much point in using tubeless tyres, or indeed anything other than clinchers, for 'everyday' cycling. Tubulars have lovely ride quality I'm sure, but the tyres are expensive and I'd want to be very sure of my gluing. If I had a dedicated bike for racing (and I raced), I would almost certainly use them. In terms of quantifiable gains, the difference between a lightweight clincher and the alternatives is very small.
  • Im going tubeless for the puncture and pinch protection, secondly to run at 90-100psi rather than 110psi.

as for the spec on the project one I have spec'd it how I want it only leaving the saddle to be decided after some miles and standard bonti wheels for commute and trainer. I will save up after xmas for a 2nd set of "race" performance wheels that wont be used on a trainer.

im waiting for my bike to sell should leave me with £2500 towards the domane.
    MADONE 5.2
  • Well im debating a Madone 5.9 with DI2 at £3900, but im still very much in love with a 6 series domane with ultegra and bonty wheels coming in at £4100

dang confused.

quick question bontrager race lites or shimano ultegra wheelset.
    MADONE 5.2
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Captainlip wrote:
    Well im debating a Madone 5.9 with DI2 at £3900, but im still very much in love with a 6 series domane with ultegra and bonty wheels coming in at £4100

dang confused.

quick question bontrager race lites or shimano ultegra wheelset.

For a £4000+ bike the bontrager race lites are low spec. - are you sure they are not bontrager race x lites - which are very good.
  • I was using project one and trying to keep to a £4k limit
    MADONE 5.2
  • I forgot to say I specced it out with the cheapest wheels to hit the 4k mark with the intention of upgrading the wheels later date.
    MADONE 5.2