Edge 800 issue 'This accessory is not supported'

moscowflyer
moscowflyer Posts: 540
edited September 2012 in Road general
I've had my Edge 800 for a week and after a particularly wet ride this lunchtime the unit will no longer mount on my computer(s) and I get ' This accessory is not supported' flashing up on the device. It still charges but just doesn't mount. I thought it was supposed to be waterproof but obviously something's happened. I can still force it to mount by pressing the lap/reset button before turning it on but that's far from ideal. Just wondered if anyone else has had this issue and if it's likely I'll need to have it replaced?

I've done a hard reset but it's still happening.

Comments

• willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    I have a vague recollection of the issue over 12 months ago and Garmin support providing a resolution but I can't actually remember the resolution. It may have been reflashing the device.

Submit a ticket online through their online support, it will take a few days to get a reply but that way you dont have to wait on a phone
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Looking at the Garmin forum it might be water ingress into the USB socket because the cover wasn't sealed.
    This accessory is not supported
  • I had this a few times ... take out the card and open both ports, and put the 800 on a radiator or the airing cupboard to dry out (e.g. 24 + hrs)

Mine did actually give up the ghost after a while, I got mine replaced just out of warranty, after quoting SOGA with regards to the device being stated as rainproof (it was just a single friendly email - and they agreed to replace)

My new unit the port covers are much tighter than the first, but I still might cover the ports in Vaseline if I know it's going to check it down with rain.
    Simon
  • Cheers. Tried the drying out thing/hairdryer etc, still exactly the same. I'll return it to the retailers for a replacement.
  • Just in case anyone else comes across this issue. They advised me to format the device which I did, but it's still happening so there's a definite hardware issue. It's going back for replacement.