Tubeless conversion, don't use too much soapy water

bikingjohn
bikingjohn Posts: 202
edited September 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I used too much soapy water for easy bead seating. Turned out the soapy water made the Notubes sealant clogged. (yea, now i know i was silly :oops: )

wpid-IMG_20120924_201100.jpg

In the end, I used NO soapy water at all to seat the bead of Nobby Nic Snake Skin TL Ready tire on Notubes ZTR Flow rim.
2015 Trek Domane 4.5 Disc
http://chup.info/c/tag/trek/

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Looks like a good scottish breakfast to me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I use no soapy water to fit my tubes either.
  • Was that an instantaneous reaction between the sealant and soapy water?

The reason I ask is because a latex bogie forms when the sealant naturally dries out, say, after about six months depending on conditions.
  • Think you're only supposed to use the bubbles, not the water :lol: .
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • Shackster wrote:
    Think you're only supposed to use the bubbles, not the water :lol: .
    yea, learned that the stupid way :roll: :P

now can't wait to try out the tubeless setup.
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    Looks like you've put too much sealant in, and used too much soapy water.

You don't need soapy water inside the tyre. You just need a smear of water on the rim strip to help the tyre bead slip outwards during inflation. The soapy water is to help detect leaks after inflation.

Make sure you really shake the sealant bottle before applying, to get all those lumpy bits dissolved back into the solution.

Good luck with the setup (I am a happy Stans no-tubes user myself). Just remember to still carry an inner tube as there's still a risk of splitting the tyre if you whack it on a rocky surface, as I've done twice now in the last 10 rides, and that's with a £50 Continental Protection tyre @ 30 psi !!
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    cooldad wrote:
    Looks like a good scottish breakfast to me.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • BG2000 wrote:
    Looks like you've put too much sealant in, and used too much soapy water.

You don't need soapy water inside the tyre. You just need a smear of water on the rim strip to help the tyre bead slip outwards during inflation. The soapy water is to help detect leaks after inflation.

Make sure you really shake the sealant bottle before applying, to get all those lumpy bits dissolved back into the solution.

Good luck with the setup (I am a happy Stans no-tubes user myself). Just remember to still carry an inner tube as there's still a risk of splitting the tyre if you whack it on a rocky surface, as I've done twice now in the last 10 rides, and that's with a £50 Continental Protection tyre @ 30 psi !!
    yep, too much soapy water, and in fact no soapy water should be allowed inside.

but the amount of sealant, i think it's not too much. the nobby nic is 2.25-wide, applied 60ml of sealant at the 2nd attempt with success. I added a bit more (maybe 20ml) just to make sure it's enough.

haven't tried it on the field, maybe on Sunday and let's see...