An autumn / winter of biking...

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited September 2012 in MTB general
In my enthusiasm to not be a billy-no-mates and to keep myself busy over the next few months, I have been booking a few biking events - i've just realised that I have an event / ride / race every weekend for about the next three months :shock:

I ride at least one evening a week too - not sure how on earth i'm going to a) keep going, and b) keep my bikes going! (I've even booked a sportive on the road bike, that's how desperate it's got :oops: )

Anyone else got rather a hectic schedule of biking planned over the winter, or is it just me heading to an early grave through too much mountain biking??! :lol:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• I am massively envious of you miss notax!
    My autumn/winter will be spent recuperating from hip surgery so their will be absolutely no biking of any kind from me. (have posted a topic on the subject!)

So I would be grateful if you updated us on your events/rides/races and I shall live my winter mountain biking through you :lol:

Good luck with it all I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy it (maybe not at the time though!) and I am sure the bikes will need some TLC/new bling by the end of it :mrgreen:
  • miss notax
    Crikey, yes I remember reading about your enforced 'rest' :? Hope it all goes according to plan.

I shall try hard not to whinge too much then when my legs ache / bikes break (although no promises, ok :wink: ) :lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    Nothing official booked but I've given myself an ambitious target of reaching 1000 miles by the end of the year. Think I've got about 400 miles left which is an average of over 30 miles per week (some weeks I can't ride because of other commitments). Dosen't sound alot but everywhere around here seems to be uphill....so it will take some doing on my part :)

Good luck
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    I wish

Ive taken to going out on the bike in the morning instead of a run just to get some bike time. What with moving house and the inevitable decorating/DIY, will be lucky to get any riding done over the winter

That said, im nipping to Cannock on Sat morning for a couple of hours :D
  • Just the usual to keep riding whenever I have time. The last few days have been horrid. I need a fix though as I've been bouncing off the walls in my free time, but the weekend looks nice. It has been over a week!

Personally I still have a lot of trails to 'tick off' in the local area so I'm slowly getting through each of these and saving for my long term mtb bike while returning to others and riding them in the different conditions.

Riding with m8s is more fun and I generally ride faster, but riding on your own you can build on your skills a bit so if there is someone to ride with then bonus else I don't mind doing it on my own. It's fun either way.

Feeling wimpy for winter though. I monthballed my hybrid last winter so this time I'm going to be manly by riding in the cold in the right gear.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I have no 'events' planned at all - I leave them to the youngsters - but I fully intend to get out one evening a week and once at the weekend all through the winter (*unless it is really miserable, then I will stay in and drink cocoa).

I will, though, be taking my 10 year-old on his epic trip to grandmas, and probably guiding him and his friends round Kingley Vale. And then, of course, I shall be trailbuilding once a month otherwise I'll get sarcy comments from 'the collective'.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Well within the next month the trails up on the mountain where I live will be in the snow, the trails in the valley should remain clear until mid December but by then I shall be xc skiing and dh skiing so my bike may be feeling neglected!

Good on you Notax - no reason not to have somethign to do each weekend on a bike - seems like a perfect way to fill your time plus a good chance to meet like minded others. :wink:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Other than hills aureus nowt on - out of interest what events are you riding in?was looking for some others do do post hill a Saurus but couldn't see anything mtb related in dec /jan - am going to try for hell of north Cotswolds in April - if I can get a place
  • no events planned, but I do ride every weekend and wednesday evening (weather permitting) with my club. You need something to look forward to, gets you through the 9-5 monotony
  • miss notax
    Good to see i'm not the only with biking-related plans then!
    elredso wrote:
    Other than hills aureus nowt on - out of interest what events are you riding in?was looking for some others do do post hill a Saurus but couldn't see anything mtb related in dec /jan - am going to try for hell of north Cotswolds in April - if I can get a place

I'm doing the Merida Brass Monkeys MTB series http://armycyclingunion.co.uk/?page_id=24 - did it last year and it was loads of fun. I also got 3rd in the series (which was basically because I turned up for all of the races and wasn't too rubbish, but hey ho :lol: ) 8) They are held once a month for November, December and January. Would highly recommend them :D

I'm also joining another local MTB club, have signed up for the next few off-road Wiggle rides, and am even doing a 80Km road sportive but that's ladies only i'm afraid :wink:

Plenty to keep me busy!

• I seem to have filled my autumn with a load of events too. Will definitely be at the Gorricks. Got my first taste of racing last year after an absence of 15 years! Have also entered some 10km runs and next week's duathlon. I find that just having these on the horizon actually gives the kick up the arse to get out and do a bit of training even when the weather looks terrible.

And - once you're out the training's enjoyable anyway...it's just that initial motivation to do it!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    miss notax wrote:
    In my enthusiasm to not be a billy-no-mates and to keep myself busy over the next few months, I have been booking a few biking events - i've just realised that I have an event / ride / race every weekend for about the next three months :shock:

I ride at least one evening a week too - not sure how on earth i'm going to a) keep going, and b) keep my bikes going! (I've even booked a sportive on the road bike, that's how desperate it's got :oops: )

Anyone else got rather a hectic schedule of biking planned over the winter, or is it just me heading to an early grave through too much mountain biking??! :lol:

nope, mine goes like this: *looks out of window* it's raining, i can't be arsed :lol:
  • miss notax
    :lol::lol::lol:

• Big climbs and big descents is the name of the game until about mid-November when the bikes get swapped for the boards for 5 months of snow-based fun :D
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Lesse, SDA race at glencoe on sunday, but then there's nothing for ages, then there's the ill-advised Innerleithen night downhill race, and the Dudes enduro... Then nowt til the innerleithen enduros kick off next year.
    Uncompromising extremist