Changes to forum log in

Greg T
Greg T Posts: 3,266
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
It's going to go wrong isn't it . . .

I always worry when asked to log in using "social media" that my posts will appear as updates on the "social media"

I'd rather not have "D-lock the cnuts" appear on my linked in page, whilst contextually appropriate here(indeed quite work-a-day round these parts) - I doubt my legion of linkedin followers (well a couple of slave traders and people I'm trying to forget) would tune into the vibe.

However - it is going to go wrong. I can imagine only being able to log on to commuter general or whatever lobotomised de-funned other forums have been left in the wake of the teacup inquisition.
Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?

Comments

• TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I don't understand why websites are increasingly trying to link everything together.

And facebook! Isn't that dead, or about to die?
    exercise.png
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Advertising init.

Sign in through social media and suddenly posts, news from bikeradar start appearing on your news feed - you will be able to select 'share' article on facebook, twitter et al. People your friends with see it and sign up to the website.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    What's changed? This machine just logs me in automatically and I don't see any mention of Faecesbook. I don't want to log out in case I can't get back in. The company tends to block Faecesbook.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Nothing yet, announcement at the top of the page says it will soon. Shouldn't affect you if you don't want it to.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Ta, obviously hadn't noticed that. I'll just carry on ignoring it then.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    This is pretty ill-advised. People will suddenly be very polite to eachother though.
  • DonDaddyD
    notsoblue wrote:
    This is pretty ill-advised. People will suddenly be very polite to eachother though.
    It's standard practice on other forums and should, if 'they do their job properly, only involve the front page - news articles and comments on this website. Posts on the forums shouldn't start appearing on twitter, facebook et al.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Greg T wrote:

I always worry when asked to log in using "social media" that my posts will appear as updates on the "social media"

I'd rather not have "D-lock the cnuts" appear on my linked in page, whilst contextually appropriate here(indeed quite work-a-day round these parts) - I doubt my legion of linkedin followers (well a couple of slave traders and people I'm trying to forget) would tune into the vibe.

However - it is going to go wrong. I can imagine only being able to log on to commuter general or whatever lobotomised de-funned other forums have been left in the wake of the teacup inquisition.

*hint* Don't use your work e-mail for your forum e-mail address.

Just saying like.
  • DonDaddyD
    Greg T wrote:

Just saying like.
    Greg, did you really do that? I didn't even use my regular email...
    Food Chain number = 4

• As I understand it Facebook/Linkedin/Twitter IDs are relatively static and reliably linked to a single individual. What I've seen running both FB and a Forum is that forum traffic is diminishing as facebook traffic increases. The theory behind this change is that every one (half a billion and counting) has a facebook ID but people are reluctant to join yet another site that will bombard their inbox with email that they don't want and wont read. So allowing them to verify them selves with FB/TW/LI gets around this additional hurdle to community engagement and it means that any idiots who don't bother making a separate profile will be easily tracable. For example if a post attracts a load on abuse from motons or mail readers.

If you've ever held off a purchase because a site made you pick a user name and password you are who this change targets.

I'm interested to see how this goes, if it goes well I may use it for my forums. TechRadar did it a while back.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Greg T
    So if I sign in using for example my linkedin acct (which isn't my work email) what will happen? Will my oh so very far from the truth user name be linked to my actual name (Quentin BTW) and will stuff get posted to my Linkedin profile without me actioning it?

Yes i am a technobiff

• Please, oh God of the internets, hurry up and KILL FACEBOOK.
  • Greg T
    So - go on the then...

If I sign in using e.g. Linkedin will my linkedin profile and profile here get linked in the interweb and posts appear under my linkedin account visible to others?

• TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Please, oh God of the internets, hurry up and KILL FACEBOOK.

It's not far off.
    Costs too high. Revenues small and hard to see how they can improve.
    exercise.png
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    TheStone wrote:

It's not far off.

it's almost as if they never heard of the dotcom bubble
    FCN = 4
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Greg T wrote:
    So - go on the then...

If I sign in using e.g. Linkedin will my linkedin profile and profile here get linked in the interweb and posts appear under my linkedin account visible to others?
    have been chatting with those that know and.
    if you do link your account with a social network it won't post anything to your account.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • TheStone wrote:

It's not far off.

Facebook brags that it "Is free and always will be"

I reckon it dies the day they U turn on that statement......can't be long to go.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Can confirm if you link it to another account it won't post elsewhere outside of the forum.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    TheStone wrote:

It's not far off.

Facebook brags that it "Is free and always will be"

I reckon it dies the day they U turn on that statement......can't be long to go.
    Can't imagine they'll ever make it pay to use, they're not stupid. They know full well the money comes from advertisers, not users.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858

Just saying like.
    Another handy tip I learnt recently is not to use your initials and dob as your username as it turns out your boss might work out who you are on the forum :shock:
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I've missed something. What's all this about linking to LinkedIn? This is BikeRadar, right? Or is this a Jedi mind trick?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cjcp wrote:
    I've missed something. What's all this about linking to LinkedIn? This is BikeRadar, right? Or is this a Jedi mind trick?
    it is an option to users to link to other social networks if they wish to.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown