tyre choice for Spesh Camber

Lammy83
Lammy83 Posts: 9
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, just looking for a little tyre choice advice. I currently have Spesh captain s-works 2.0 front and rear, which are coming to an end and could do with replacing.

I will be riding the 34 mile hope route for British Heart Foundation this weekend and would like to get something sorted before sat.

I would like to go slightly larger with a 2.25 front and a 2.1 rear for a bit more volume and protection for the rims.

The tires need to be a good all rounder. I mostly ride Cannock, Sherwood and dark peak.

I have been looking at Maxxis combinations like a minor font but not sure what to pair it with or a high roller front. Totally confused what to go with. I don’t want something that will slow me down on flatter trails like Sherwood but would like plenty of grip prediction on rocks in the peaks.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    You can pair up Minions. I have DHF front and back. Good combo IMO.
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    I have a camber and I have changed from Spesh captains to spesh Ground Control and have found they great they grip better than the capatains and seem to roll just as well if not better
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • 2.2 rubber queen (conti) in black chilli on the front will handle the rocks well - good big volume tyre and the black chilli keeps the drag down for a chunky tyre. A mountain king 2 out back would compliment nicely. Not the cheapest tyres though.

Always liked minions as well (plenty of grip and confidence) but have no illusions - they will feel slower than some of the other tyres mentioned.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Lammy83 wrote:
    I would like to go slightly larger with a 2.25 front and a 2.1 rear for a bit more volume and protection for the rims.
    a larger tyre from a different make may not be any bigger than what you have now, spesh tend to be very generous in the carcass sizes of there tyres
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • jsync
    jsync Posts: 120
    I just changed from the terrible fast track to spesh purgatory. So far I have ridden a dusty Dalby and sodden Pines. So far they are my favorite all rounder, having used, captain control, fast track, panaracer cinder (also good) and the purgs.

I got them for £40 a pair too, nice!
  • jsync wrote:
    I got them for £40 a pair too, nice!
    Oooooooh where? One of my fave all rounder tyres.
  • Do the purgatory cope well with rocks in the dark peak?