Not Quite a Feather Duster

70\ʹspenguin
70\ʹspenguin Posts: 957
edited November 2012 in Your mountain bikes
...but fairly light. So i swapped out my 06 Fisher alu frame for a 2009 steel Duster one.

IMG_2597_zps7b1aabe6.jpg

IMG_2624_zps9162bffc.jpg

20120922171617_zps71dd4d1e.jpg

The geometry of the two frames is similar with the Duster having a shorter TT, but the overall feel is like night and day. The more compact position puts less strain on my ever failing wrists. I dont know how to describe the difference between the feel of the bikes, but all i can say is that its like someone has covered all the rocks and bumps with a thin layer of bubble wrap. The bike is 0.5kg heavier now but i havent noticed the increase.

Frame: 2009 Charge Duster Tange Prestige Steel
Forks: RS Reba RL 2011 Poploc
Bars: Easton EA70
Stem: Ritchey WCS
Headset: FSA Orbit
Grips: ESI Chunky Silicone Grips
Bar Ends: Tioga

Front Brake: Formula Oro k18
Front disc: Formula 180
Rear Brake: Formula Oro k18
Rear Disc: Formula 16o

Shifters: Sram XO Grip Shift
Rear Mech: Sram X9

Seat: SDG Bel Air Ti
Seat Post: Thompson Elite

Cranks: Deore 170mm
Chainring(s): Salsa 36t
Pedals: Exustar E-PM215

Front Wheel: Stan's Crest on Superstar Evo Stealth Hub
Back Wheel: Stan's Crest on Superstar Evo Stealth Hub

Weight: 11.5 kg

Comments

• looks Great fella!! knew it would from the picture of the frame next to the old bike!!
    something about skinny tubes!!!!

cracking looking ride fella!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Thanks! Yeah i love it! I loved the old frame and we had been through a lot together, but this new frame has a certain something i cant put my finger on. Its just a joy! i cant stop looking at it either
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    Good to see another Gripshift user, I have just fitted the new 10spd version to my Prophet and they are fantastic. As for the Charge I like the look of them, so much in fact that I'm Mulling over the possibility of adding this to my stable.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/charge-duster-eleven-2012/
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Yeah i love the look of the new skinner frames! The gripshift i find amazing! I have always had problems getting the brake far enough out to single finger and so i thought id give the grip a go (also got small hands and my thumb could never reach). At £24 from ze Germans i couldnt pass up the chance. The shifting is so smooth its unreal! 1to 9 in less than a second too. Its a bit noisy but i kinda like that!

The other revelation for me are the pedals - £30 for 270g and they are great! Lighter than XTR with a really positive engagement and lots of float, which i like. They arent particularly tough but for XC i think they are perfect!
  • mrlee
    mrlee Posts: 499
    nice. skinny tubes rock
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    How are you finding keeping the chain on with no chain guide?

I run my commuter 1x9 with Gripshift (not tried it on the MTB yet), that won't keep the chain on though (falls off during shifts).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • How are you finding keeping the chain on with no chain guide?

I run my commuter 1x9 with Gripshift (not tried it on the MTB yet), that won't keep the chain on though (falls off during shifts).

Since running 1x9 ive snapped one chain, but never had it come off. Had absolutely no problems at all with it. Been running it like this for about 700 miles now. Perhaps im lucky?
  • mrlee wrote:
    nice. skinny tubes rock
    my sentiments exactly. Steel just looks so much better
  • How are you finding keeping the chain on with no chain guide?

Since running 1x9 ive snapped one chain, but never had it come off. Had absolutely no problems at all with it. Been running it like this for about 700 miles now. Perhaps im lucky?

Couple of days after this reply i started losing the chain. I blame you, Mr Beginner!
    adebisi wrote:
    mrlee wrote:
    nice. skinny tubes rock
    my sentiments exactly. Steel just looks so much better

Yeah am totally in love with the steel! Just rides so nicely and is great for the all-dayer! Changed to RaRa and RoRo now and they are surprisingly faster than the Kendas. Puncture like buggery though! Think i may try tubeless.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nice steel frame by Reynolds, used to own a 2008 model in be grey with the rigid forks.
    noticed the paint Chips of easy , you using copter tape ?
  • Nice steel frame by Reynolds, used to own a 2008 model in be grey with the rigid forks.
    noticed the paint Chips of easy , you using copter tape ?

Its Japanese Steel :P Tange Prestige is kinda the equivalent of 853. The paint is ok actually. Not many chips at all, however where i live and ride its very sandy/muddy and not too many stones and the commute hasnt made any dents.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    20120922171617_zps71dd4d1e.jpg
    thats just classy, a fantastic looking bike :D
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Thank you :)

With RaRa at the back
    20121020150327.jpg

Plenty of mud clearance
    20121020150339.jpg

Cleaned with a RoRo up front as well..
    20121023163725.jpg

Spare tube missing from the seat now as it keeps getting used :(
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I'm surprised you didn't lose your chain sooner, a chain guide is pretty much 100% necessary. Just one of those superstar XCR top guides will do the job, only costs about £15 and doesn't exactly weigh much.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    I'm surprised you didn't lose your chain sooner, a chain guide is pretty much 100% necessary. Just one of those superstar XCR top guides will do the job, only costs about £15 and doesn't exactly weigh much.

I went for a lightweight bash and jump stop. I have been lucky, but at the same time its been a tame year terrain wise.
  • I know its only visual but that frame has totally transformed your ride looks very nice
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    ilovedirt wrote:

I went for a lightweight bash and jump stop. I have been lucky, but at the same time its been a tame year terrain wise.
    Sorry for putting a curse on, the chain starts OK then starts to come off once it loosens up a bit, my daughter runs a bash and jump stop, I'm going with an inner guide ring as going 1x9 on the MTB now....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    You've just reminded me that I need to get the Inbred chain sorted out.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?