Rider Down - Me

Koncordski
Koncordski Posts: 1,009
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
So it must have been silly season yesterday, what with nich's accident. I thought i'd add to the tally with a rather spectacular off along LRR. Car coming out of a side road stopped at joining LRR so I carried on, car then changed mind and drove into my rear wheel, spinning me around and dumping me sideways on the deck.

Thankfully was all reasonably low speed, only got dropped because she didn't brake until i was down so her car effectively pushed my rear wheel making me pivot around the front of the bike.

Driver stopped, other cyclists stopped (so thanks if that was you), some chap in a skeleton cycling jersey collected some witness details for me whilst i was getting the driver's details. Thanks mate if that was anyone on here.

Bike is actually undamaged, my trusty aluminium trek, even the rear wheel looks straight. Only thing that concerned me was the large bang when my helmet hit the tarmac. It's partially crushed on the right hand side so I went off on my own steam to casualty.

Doctor says i have some mild whiplash in my neck where my head went over and bonked the floor but in his words, "it looks like you got away with it". I know there's a lot of debate about helmet use these days, all i'll say is that even in this low speed impact i'm bloody glad i was wearing mine.

Bit of stiffness in the neck and a few bruises on my thighs from where the bike frame hit me on the way down but otherwise i think i'm quite fortunate. Will report the accident to plod today and haven't decided yet what to do about the driver. She thought she'd killed me so half of the aftermath was calming her down to get her details.

Thanks to everyone that stopped to help and give details, car drivers and cyclists, and thanks to the guy from teddington that rides the condor and rode with me after to make sure i got the A&E ok. Stay safe out there chaps (and ladies). :|

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
#2 Boeris Italia race steel
#3 Scott CR1 SL
#4 Trek 1.1 commuter
#5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Ouch get better soon. And speak to a solicitor....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    At least the driver had the courtesy to be concerned rather than shout at you which happened in my case! Glad you seem to be ok.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Oh dear, glad you're relatively ok. I must confess if that were me I mght give it a few days and if everything else is ok just get her to buy me a new lid.
    Really good to read that others stopped to help.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Sounds like you were relatively lucky. LRR and NKR are nasty bits of roads with lots of side turnings so I always back off along there. Seems you were unlucky and got caught by a dithering driver, how far in the primary were you when you got tagged?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Glad you're okay!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Glad to hear you're OK. No doubt you've got this on the list, but it's definitely new helmet time.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Sounds like you were relatively lucky. LRR and NKR are nasty bits of roads with lots of side turnings so I always back off along there. Seems you were unlucky and got caught by a dithering driver, how far in the primary were you when you got tagged?

Yeah, i wasn't gunning it. We'd just moved off from a red light at this crossing http://goo.gl/maps/26h92 and the car was going from the turning on the left to the road opposite.

Was in front of a black bmw (i think) and according to the cyclist behind me the bmw braked sharply to let the car out of the side road. I didn't see this as i was in front and when the driver in the side road saw a gap on the opposite side (oncoming traffic) she squirted the gas without looking back to where me and then the bmw were. I was 80% past her car when i felt her hit me, landed on the road next to those bollards past the turning and was facing the post box. :roll:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Glad to hear it worked out OK.

Good argument for helmet usage, but it won't be enough for the naresayers of course!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Glad you're ok too! :D

I guess we've had our crash for the year, so can look forward to no more off's ;)
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Always nice to read about those who stop and help, and particularly the person who took the witness details for you (easy for them to disperse once you seem ok and whilst you are preoccupied with the driver or checking you are still alive...) and respect to the guy who cycled to a&e with you.

Had my own off last week. The culprit was Dennis Menchov. No car involved, I just decided to emulate his bike handling skills. Elbow still scabbed up....ETA: a Royal Mail guy pulled over in his car to check I was ok, which was kind, but there was nothing he could do to ease my hurt pride!!