What wheels will fit 80's reynolds 501 12speed

percybigun
percybigun Posts: 10
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
I have a 1989 raleigh kellogs pro tour (reynolds 501) that i've owned from new, and a raleigh eclipse (same spec & era)

Both have weinmann silver 700c alloys (although one has a rogue steely)

I want to fit black alloy wheels on both bikes, the kellogs has a rusty steely and the eclipse needs black rims to look original! Both are 700c.

Both bikes have a 6cog on the back wheel, could i fit shimano R501's, but they have 8cog back wheel?

Or i've seen weinmann black alloy 6speed 700c wheelsets for a good price, would they fit straight on?

The kellogs has original shimano deralier, the eclipse has had a shimano alivio mech rear deralier fitted (still with 6 cog), and shimano alivio at the front.

I notice some wheels for sale have no rear cog, could i swap mine onto one?

Otherwise is there anything else that would fit straight on, i dont really wanna spend more than £75-100 per pair.

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    There's some information on different types of cassettes here: http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

To take your cassette off, do you unscrew the smallest cog or is there a 'cap' that you unscrew? (see the section on Uniglide vs Hyperglide). I don't think you can buy new Uniglide stuff any more.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    You've got 2 options:
    - 6/7 speed bikes have a rear axle 126mm across, compared to 130mm for 8/9/10/11 speed bikes so you need to find some compatible hubs (I have a pair of 600EX hubs if you're interested). Depending on what kind of hub you get, you then need a compatible cassette (the 600EX uses uniglide hub but it is quite easy to use modern Hyperglide cassettes with some fettling)
    - other option is to cold set the rear stays to 130mm, which should be fairly easy unless its a 531Pro or 753 frame - they have 753 rear stays which can't be cold set. Then you can use modern 130mm hubs.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Just find period wheels off Ebay - period bikes deserve period rims unless you are using them in all weathers.

Shouldn't be hard to find the right ones. My Raleigh Record Ace came with steel rims - it didn't take long to find genuine exactly correct replacements but you don't really need to be that fussy.

Will be cheap (not hard to find a pair for £30 with decent tyres on if you are lucky!) and look better than using modern wheels.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Yes, if you look for old wheels ebay can a good place. I have just bought a set of Mavic 501 hubs laced with Wolber profil rims, all in near new conditions for 50 quid including delivery. I am rebuilding them on new spokes for my 1980s bike, but they were perfectly rideable.
    Just to give you an idea, something of the same quality in today's world would be around the 4-500 pounds price point
    left the forum March 2023
  • Ah, when i look on ebay i tend to draw a blank when looking for older wheels, what keywords should i look for?
  • Ah, steel rims... I have a pair on one of my bikes. Cheap '80s Raleigh factory tat, begging to be replaced. They look great but braking in the wet leaves something to be desired. :lol:

But I guess you might as well try to find some cheap old wheels. At least you won't be overpaying if you kill them! When I snapped a rear axle the easiest and cheapest option was a £30 Raleigh factory wheel (not steel), which has been very good.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    percybigun wrote:
    Ah, when i look on ebay i tend to draw a blank when looking for older wheels, what keywords should i look for?

Ideally find out the spec of the original wheels and search for that. But it's not hard. I just tried Weinmann 700c and these off a Raleigh Triathlon came up at the top of the list. You have to read between the lines - reasonably straight and true probably means they'll need a trip to the LBS to be tweaked but it all depends on what they sell for.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-105-h ... 4d0508e74d
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Those on ebay are the right type, but i want black.

My kellogs had weinman 700c alloy wheels as standard but i kept buckling the rear when i used to do town commuting, and fitted a steely. It was 20yrs ago and they were off the shelf then lol. Its still got the original front alloy, which is in perfect condition but i'd rather change them both for black rims

Would this fit?

http://www.parkersofbolton.co.uk/p-3324 ... r-hub.aspx
  • percybigun wrote:
    Those on ebay are the right type, but i want black.

My kellogs had weinman 700c alloy wheels as standard but i kept buckling the rear when i used to do town commuting, and fitted a steely. It was 20yrs ago and they were off the shelf then lol. Its still got the original front alloy, which is in perfect condition but i'd rather change them both for black rims

Would this fit?

http://www.parkersofbolton.co.uk/p-3324 ... r-hub.aspx

Beside the poor quality, there are 2 problems with this:

1) it's 130 mm and most likely won't fit your rear spacing

2) the QR has an external cam and as you have horizontal dropouts it won't hold the wheel in place, you will end up on the pavement with a broken collar bone

all in all you are better off with a second hand set on ebay
  • These are good for you, as long as you don't use the supplied QR skewers and keep the ones you already got

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hand-Built-Cu ... 3f18af9ac6

The seller is reputable and the materials are good (rims and hubs) to excellent (spokes) quality... worth the risk of paying import duty
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,980
    Measure your frame spacing as shown here http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html and buy a set of 700c wheels with the equivalent hub width (probably 126mm). There should be loads available out there pretty cheap.
  • u33db
    u33db Posts: 68
    Yes the spacing is 126mm

As you know on mine i'm running a 10 speed cassette so 130mm spacing.

I've just spread the rear to cope rather than cold setting - cold setting is permanent wheras spreading is just where you pull the rear apart and over the wider cassette.

No issues and easy to do, even for a weakling like me...its a 501 steel frame after all so plenty of pliability.

This means you can buy virtually any modern 700c wheel - i'm using Pro Lite Comos.

Only thing to be aware of is you'll need a new cassette - original is screw on wheras a modern wheel will need a freehub casette....if going beyond 6 speed you'll need shifters to cope if or just leave it in friction mode. If going beyond 8 speed you'll need new everything (chain, derailers, crank) as 9 speed chains are thinner.

I'd try and get a freehub if i were you as screw on is old tech now and limits your choice.

Ebay for used wheels or Merlins Cycles (for new "sale" wheels) are good sites to check out.

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/wheels/road-wheels/factory-road-wheels/
  • u33db
    u33db Posts: 68
    Actually having a look at that link i'd consider the Shimano hubs (Tiagra/105) laced to Mach rims.

Only £35 to £50 per wheel and available in black.

Not superlight but strong and smooth rolling...probably comparable to my Pro Lites i think

IIRC Mach is a newer brand but good quality...i've got them on on my MTB with Shimano Deore hubs and can vouch for them...they get good reviews as well.
  • i have a pair of period 700c black mavics on shimano 105 hubs and 7 speed cassette ready to go with fancy black conti kevlar tyres (standard fit on a 1990 peugeot), if your interested p.m me.