Correct sizing / setup

nbuuifx
nbuuifx Posts: 302
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
I've done a good few rides on my road bike now, and thinking about sizing. The bike 'feels' a perfect fit, I'm quite comfortable on it when I try and go as fast as I can though I go in the drops and my backside lifts up off the seat. I've already raised the seat a bit and am at the point where I have to lean the bike to touch the floor or jump down off the seat.

Do I raise it a little further so I'm not lifting out of the seat when trying hard? Or is it normal to do that?

Also I've noticed people mentioning not being able to see the front axle if the bike is setup correctly. I have a good view of the front ale when in the drops, it looks to be directly below, my handle bars are a bit back behind it.

Comments

• Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    as long as you don't feel you are over-reaching when pedalling hard, and there is still a small angle at the knee then the seat isn't too high. Have you watched the various youtube videos on getting optimum saddle height?
    Is the saddle level? You shouldn't raise off the saddle when you're in the drops, though this could be a case of gaining flexibility or getting more used to the bike.
    From your description your stem size would seem to be about right.
  • I think it's that you're not meant to be able to see the axle when you're on the hoods, rather than in the drops.... but I could be wrong...
  • nbuuifx
    Thanks for the replies,

I'm trying to stay in the drops as much as possible, generally I don't lift off the seat. I can cruise along at 25ish on the flat without lifting off, it's only if I really push it (segment etc) that I find my backside lifting up higher. I've still got 3 spacers under the stem - wasn't sure if I should be trying to lower it a little?

As for saddle height, I've had others watch as I'm cycling and say that my leg looks about right, nearly straight but with a slight bend at the furthest point.
  • nbuuifx
    Right - checked again whilst out on the bike.

On the drops I can clearly see the front axle straight down.
    On the hoods I can see the front axle just infront of the bars
    On the bars I can't see the axle (nexer normally use this position though)

So does that fact that I can see the front axle just in front of the bars mean the adjustment isn't quite right?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Generally saddle height is determined such that, sitting down, your heel is just on the pedal. Therefore, when actually riding, you have a slight bend in your leg as the ball of your foot is on the pedal.

Spacer stack height is generally determined by flexibility
  • nbuuifx
    coriordan wrote:
    Generally saddle height is determined such that, sitting down, your heel is just on the pedal. Therefore, when actually riding, you have a slight bend in your leg as the ball of your foot is on the pedal.

Spacer stack height is generally determined by flexibility

Flexibility? As in how flexible I am?

I'd like to think I'm still fairly flexible - Just turned 30. Is it a case of just trying the spacers in different positions - if it feels bad but it back?
  • Sprool
    most stems have a small angle off perpendicular, 6 to 8 degrees, so the stem angle will be somewhere between 82 and 84 degrees.
    You can take the stem off and flip it over and reattach to effectively raise the handlebar heigh a bit. It also brings the bars a little bit closer to you. You also then have the opportunity to play around with spacers to raise or lower the bar. I found that flipping the stem helped me a lot in riding comfort. I flipped it then removed the spacer. Seems to suit me well for now. As i gain experience and fitness it may be that in 6 months i try to go back to a more aggressive position but for now its fine. I think the most important thing is to feel free to have a play around with these settings and go for what feels best for you to enable longest time in the saddle and avoid stress or aches. I'm not ideally positioned re front hub either but i think thats a bit of a generalisation to expect everybody to have the hub obscured when they are in the 'perfect position'. Everybody's physique and riding style is after all different.
  • coriordan wrote:

Ive read lots about saddle height and still not sure if mine is set up correctly. At the bottom of the stroke are my feet supposed to be pointed down or close to flat?????
    :? :?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Um. I would say when your feet are flat at the bottom of your downstroke, there should still be a slight bend in your knee. Just a few degrees, but essentially, you shouldn't be locking your legs out to complete the downstroke.

My quote above is a guideline for getting this right, but do a mile just to check. I've fiddled with my saddle today as lent my bike to a mate, so will check it out again after tomorrow's ride.
    I've also had this bike for a year or so now, and still make minor adjustments.
  • Sprool
    coriordan wrote:
    Ive read lots about saddle height and still not sure if mine is set up correctly. At the bottom of the stroke are my feet supposed to be pointed down or close to flat?????
    :? :?
    This can depend on your own pedalling style. It really is best to play with the saddle height to try out what feels most comfortable and efficient for you. As long as you are not fully extended at the lowest point. TRy raising the saddle till you know its too much of a reach, then drop it down half an inch.
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    Re; Stem

The guide is that you are not meant to see the hub when on the hoods. However if you can see a bit of it that's not necessarily a big problem.

If the hub is in front of the hood then that would indicate that the frame is a tad short. Suggest a slightly longer stem which will also cause a longer reach when on the drops and perhaps find you that extra to get your bum on the saddle without putting the saddle so high that it's dangerous when you try and dismount in a hurry.

Hope that helps.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    You can't find a fit from 'whether you can see the front axle'. Even if its a rule of thumb its not a clever one at all.

Everybody has different dimensions torso/legs/arms etc etc... some people ride so 'sat up' compared to others its remarkable, so 'seeing a hub' doesn't work.

If you're not sure how to get fitted to a bike, get someone to do it, it doesn't have to be a paid for fitting (although it can be worth every last penny). Maybe an LBS that knows its stuff will get you close, or an experienced friend with a good eye.... but don't try to fit your bike to you on whether you can see a hub, that would be daft.
  • If you can afford it why not go and have a proper bike fit? I did, and it really did help me get the most out of my bike and enjoy the rides/training.